Disk Space - Drive D

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shakula, Feb 8, 2007.

1. shakula

shakula Private E-2

I have a Hard Drive C and a Hard Drive D. The Drive C is full and the Drive D doesn't get used. Why isn't Drive D being used by the computer? How do I get it into use? Hopefully automatically by the computer. It doesn't seem to have a label, is that the problem? Does it need to be formatted or something? How do I do either of these things? If I am forced to move files or programs to Drive D manually, how do I do that? I have a laptop and using Windows ME. Below is a pasted view of the drives:

Drive Letters. These are drive letters associated with hard disk drives. This list does not include drive letters for floppy disks or other removable media such as CD-ROM, DVD, Zip or Jaz drives.

Description Drive C Drive D
    Partition format FAT32 FAT32
    Cluster size 4 KB 8 KB
    Drive label LOCAL DISK No Label
    Size 5715 MB 8573 MB
    Free space 1091 MB (19%) 8573 MB (100%)
    Junk files 7 MB (0%) 0 MB (0%)
    Data fragmentation Not tested Not tested
    File fragmentation Not tested Not tested
    Uncached speed 14 MB/s (128%) 14 MB/s (128%)

2. MrGordy

MrGordy Private E-2

Hi:shakula
    I'm having almost the same problem, I would like to combine the 2 into one if possible.

3. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

Well to check whether the D drive is formatted the easiest way is to select the drive by double clicking on it in My Computer then assuming it then goes to the drive then right click scroll down to new and then select text document.

If it create a file then the drive is formatted.

As to using copying to the drive - just open two copies of Windows Explorer. Select the C drive in one and the D drive in the other then click on a file (or selection of files) in the C drive and holding the left mouse button down drag the files across to the D drive.

Just note that you should not do this for programs that you have installed as they will not work again if you use this method. :eek:

4. rodell

rodell Private First Class

My problem is the opposite. For over a year D Drive (Recovery) on Dell laptop running Vista Ultimate has been 95% full. Automatically so.

Now at every StartUp a balloon says to reduce old files, etc. At CLEAN UP mnothing happens so of course SAVED SPACE is 0.

I have never accessed contents of D so unsure what to delete even so.

My solution is to ignore it. If any forum colleagues have better idea please advise.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds