Disk Space Is Eaten Alive I Need Help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by matrixtna, Feb 3, 2005.

1. matrixtna

matrixtna Private E-2

today for some reason my HDD Space went from 33 gig (out of 80) to 13 gig and my pc was on idle, over time the amount of space on my C drive goes down like .01 and over time Gigs of my HDD are taken up

I have no idea what is causing this problem. Please HELP

2. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

Do a search on your computer for *.* and then tell it to search for files that were modified today. That will generate a list of all the files added to the HD today. This allows you to see what is taking up the space, which is the first step in determining what to do about it.

Usually something like this is virus related though, so I'd suggest doing a virus scan.

3. Ste5742@hotmail.com

Ste5742@hotmail.com Private E-2

I had this problem once, it turned out it was a virus, it copies your files and pastes them in several othe rdirectories nothing dangerous as it would seem but still an annoyance, I justscanned my computer and cleared the virus unfortuantly it wouldnt remove the files unless they were master infection files which meant i had to delte them but I just formatted as it was only a spare computer so I had free time to do it where as you may use it all the time and may require back-up etc.

don't know if this helps but i hope it does good luck.

ste.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds