Diskeeper 2010 Pro Premier+HyperFast v14

Discussion in 'Software' started by selvan777, Sep 9, 2010.

1. selvan777

selvan777 Private E-2

I'd like to schedule a boot-time defrag of the paging file and MFT weekly on drive c: but DK only supports enabling it as a one-time thing only, meaning to say it needs to be re-enabled each and every time.

Is it possible, and can someone detail the steps, to schedule it via Win7HP64b's Task Scheduler?

Thanks a bunch.

P.S. I'm not so sure how frequently the page file and MFT should be defraged and figured weekly can't hurt.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

You can set the Windows task Scheduler by the instructions HERE, and add Diskeeper to the schedule when asked to browse for tha application/task to add, but to be honest it may not work, as you'd still need to set DK to do a bootime defrag and with MFT and PF as the options as the Windows Task Scheduler will only run a specific application and not drill down into the options list of that app.

Can you not direct in DK set its bootime options, Click Bootime Defrag (blue disk with green square thingy icon) then choose the C: drive or the one with the main Windows OS on it, then click Bootime defragmentation > Enable bootime defrag on the selected volume > choose Run the Bootime defragmentation based on a scheduled reboot and add a day and time and in the options list choose the options you want.

Personally thats way way too much, the NTFS file system doesnt fragment as much as many folk think, its very good at looking after itself, and in the case of MFT and Pagefile defrag then I have only and normally only do this one time when I have newly installed Windows and all my favoured default apps. After that its a defrag set to auto so that it only defrags when it needs to, then I may do a full Access type defrag (I use O&O over DK as its options and scheduling is mych better IMHO) every 6-12 months. Last time I did a MFT and Pagefile defrag on my current build of Windows 7 x64 was 8th August 2009.

SO wouldnt worry too much about the MFT and Pagefile, too much defragging those may more lead to data corruption of those areas and the MFT is a crucial part of being able to boot Windows.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds