Display adapter conflict

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by laughing elf, Jul 26, 2008.

1. laughing elf

laughing elf Private E-2

Dual Boot: Windows 98SE/Windows XP are installed on separate physical hard drives.
    Windows XP working correctly.
    Win98 error on bootup (See bold type)

SYSTEM: Windows 98 SE
    BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS V1.10A12 (updated)
    Processor: Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.66 GHz
    Display: NVIDIA GeForce 4 MX 440 with APG8X
    Manufacturer:NVIDIA
    Monitor: Viewsonic A91F
    DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    DISPLAY WINDOW
    Your display adapter conflicts with another device in your computer. To correct this problem click OK to view the properties for this device

OK
    NVIDIA GeForce4 MX440 with APPX Properties WINDOW with 3 Tabs: General – Driver- Resource
    GENERAL TAB
    Device Type: NVIDIA
    Hardware Version: 162
    DEVICE STATUS
    This device cannot find any free Input/Output Range (I/O) resources to use (Code 12).
    If you want to use this device you must disable another device that is using the resource this device needs. To do this, click HARDWARE TROUBLESHOOTER and follow the instructions in the wizard.

Device Usage: Exists in all hardware profile windows (this is checked)
    HARDWARE TROUBLESHOOTER

DRIVER TAB
    Provider: NVIDIA
    Date: 12-10-2005
    DRIVER FILES: C:\Windows\System\NVDISP.drv*
    C:\Windows\System\NVMINI.vdx*
    C:\Windows\system\vmm32.vxd (vdd vxd)**

*Provider: NVIDIA Corp /File Version:4.14.10.8198/Copyright:NVIDIA Corporation

** Provider/File Version/Copyright: Not Available

RESOURCES TAB
    This device cannot find any free Input/Output Range (I/O) resources to use.
    If you want to use this device you need to disable one of the other devises on this system that has a Input/Output Range (I/O) resource conflict with it.
    USE AUTOMATIC SETTINGS (window is checked)
    CONFLICTING DEVICE LIST (window is empty)
    Uncheck USE AUTOMATIC SETTINGS
    Click SET CONFIGURATION MANUALLY

CONFLICTING DEVICE WINDOW
    RESOURCE TYPE SETTINGS
    Memory Range 00A0000-000AFFFF
    Memory Range 000B0000-000bffff
    Input Output Range 03B0-03BB
    Input Output Range 03C0-03DF
    Interrupt Range 00
    Memory Range 00000000-07FFFFFF
    Memory Range 000C0000-000cf7ff
    Memory Range 00000000-0001FFFF
    CLICK on CHANGE SETTINGS –No modifications allowed. This resource cannot be modified.
    (This message given for all above settings)

CONFLICTING DEVICE LIST
    Memory Range 00000000-00FFFFFF used by System Board Extension for ACPI BIOS
    Memory Range 00000000-00FFFFFF used by System Board Extension for ACPI BIOS

I have been unable to change the NVIDIA Adapter settings.

FAQ: Why do I want dual boot with Win98? Because old games will not run in compatibility mode.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Laughing elf

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Go into the BIOS and look for a setting called "P-n-P Operating System" or "Plug-and-Play OS" or something very similar to that (different BIOSes word it differently). The available settings will "Yes" and "No". Change it. If it is set for 'Yes', select 'No'. If it's set for 'No', select 'Yes'. Different BIOSes put this setting in different places, but it is typically in the Advanced Settings, or in the PCI/PNP settings. If you can't find it, post the make and model of your motherboard and I'll do what I can. It might also help to use the 'Optimized Defaults' setting in your BIOS and/or make sure all the IRQs are set for Auto. If you manually enter values for IRQs be sure to note what the values were before changing, or be prepared to use the CLR CMOS jumper on the motherboard.....

I hope this helps!

3. laughing elf

laughing elf Private E-2

Thanks for your help dlb. The BIOS have very limited options so I was unable to enable your suggestions.

Motherboard is Dell Dimention 4600. I cannot find a Win98 driver for this board. Still looking.

Thanks again,

laughing elf

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds