display and resolution problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by shibo2501, Aug 23, 2010.

1. shibo2501

shibo2501 Private E-2

Hi

Until yesterday everything was fine. I had a graphic driver from the constructor and set a resolution of 1184x666 which was perfect.

I had to reinstall windows today (viruses...)

Then download all drivers from the constructor's site.

But... with the new driver i can't find 1184x666 in the resolution list (even with advanced/all modes). All other ones are awful. either the screen is very small and centered in a black screen, or it's too big and i can't see the borders (start menu for instance).

I also tried official driver from intel. There are more possible modes but 1184x666 still missing...

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, shibo2501...

We need some more info: OS version and service pack#, type of video card and driver version, motherboard specs, monitor type, etc...

3. shibo2501

shibo2501 Private E-2

sure

windows vista service pack 1
    card/driver : intel Q45/Q43 express chipset

I tried to set a custom resolution in control panel. I can create it all right but when I click "apply" nothing happens (though the computer insist the custom resolution was applied !)

mother board specs ? what's that ? where to find them please

monitor is actually a TV : samsung model #LE32R41B
    My PC does not have a vga but a hdmi port.
    So I had to plug it to my monitor with the DVI port and not the vga.
    Thus I can't use all the PC recommandations from samsung, these are only workable with a vga connection.

4. Caliban

Ok - do this real quick - download and install Everest (don't worry: it's just an info tool), generate a text report, and post it here...we need to see what kind of machine we're talkin' about...

5. shibo2501

shibo2501 Private E-2

Here you go

I finally managed to have my custom resolution in display modes list

however when I choose it I get a black screen. I guess my driver cannot manage it

Attached Files:

6. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

7. shibo2501

shibo2501 Private E-2

thanks

already tried that

it is odd, intel proposes a graphic driver which I already installed days ago, but no chipset driver.

8. Caliban

To verify: you have already uninstalled, cleaned, and reinstalled both the chipset and video software for this machine?

9. motc7

motc7 Vice Admiral (Starfleet)

I would uninstall the card from your computer and choose to delete the drivers when you do. same for the chipset.

Then shutdown and completely turn off. Crack the case open and remove the video card, then insert it again and let it autodetect and install drivers. See if that works.

10. shibo2501

shibo2501 Private E-2

I had viruses so I formated the disk and reinstalled everything.

Actually I have no idea how a driver works. A technician advised me to install 3 chipset drivers, whatever they are, and a video driver, all from the constructor's site. then I tried and installed the graphic driver from intel instead, with no improvement.
    Later someone else told that it was no use intalling 3 chipset since each one replaces the previous ; then told me to install another chipset, also from the constructor's site.

It didn't help.

motc7, thanks for your advice, I'll keep it in mind but am reluctant to try it. i'm afraid i might break something. besides intel made an auto detection already (though it didn't provided any suggestion for chipset, only for video driver).

11. Caliban

How did you format/reinstall Windows: do you have a dedicated Vista disk, a Dell restore disk, or was the restore on a partition?

12. shibo2501

shibo2501 Private E-2

I have a windows vista disc.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds