Display Driver Infinite Loop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by paul_porter, Mar 21, 2007.

1. paul_porter

paul_porter Private E-2

Hey, everyone. I'm have an HP Pavillion zd8000 with XP Home SP2. While using my laptop my display got all messed up and I got an error message that my video driver was in an infinite loop. I was unable to launch Windows after that. I was ready to do a reinstall anyway, so I reinstalled XP. It worked fine until I installed the second CD with the drivers. At that point I was right back where I started with the error message and the restart.

However, I was able to operate in safe mode just fine. So I went to HP and downloaded the latest display driver. The problem persisted. When I uninstalled it and went back to the default driver I was finally able to launch XP normally and was able to use the machine for an entire day with no problems. However, the resolution was a little lower than max. Foolishly, I looked at the display settings and discovered that they were set to something less than 1200 by 800 or whatever. When I applied the settings, I was right back with the problem.

Now the only way I can run is in safe mode. I have lowered the resolution to 800x600, but I can't open XP in regular mode -- I get the display driver infinite loop message and the machine restarts.

Safe mode seems to work fine. The display is fantastic.

Someone told me it is probably a problem with the video card.

Any ideas?

2. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

Yeah, I agree. I think the video hardware has gone flakey on you. Hopefully the laptop is still under warranty. When a laptop video card goes out, you usually have to replace the whole system board, and it ain't cheap :(

hopperdave2000

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds