"Display Driver" ISSUE w/Hardware Acceleration Change(s)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by grc123, May 9, 2011.

1. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

In VISTA HOME SP2, I have always been able to play videos from my camera on this PC - ALL OF A SUDDEN NOW, I cannot, getting this message:

"This video can't be displayed because your video card "MAY" not support the required level of hardware acceleration, or because hardware acceleration is not available".

When I attempt to check it, I get (screenshot)...?

Can any advise, please?

Attached Files:

2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Ensure you're running the nVidia driver, not the MSFT driver for nVidia.

3. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Thanks - that appears to me to be correct (screenshot), yes please?

Attached Files:

4. satrow

This appears to be the latest driver.

What recent windows Updates have you installed?

Any other recent software changes?

5. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Thanks - I'm updating the driver as I type, and the WIN. Update History is attached...not sure if I should "lose" (uninstall) the "Recommended" Updates or not...?

Attached Files:

6. satrow

Well, it's very difficult to know what's at the root of this, losing the rec. updates may be in order to test the outcome?

7. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Right. I suppose I'll take it a step at a time - updated NVIDIA Driver installing now...

8. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Without removing/uninstalling any Windows Updates, things are working again - so it must have been (?:confused?) the NVIDIA Update...thank you very much (and NVIDIA is now set to "auto-update").

Thanks again,
    Glenn..
    PS ~ Also (and I have :confused NO CLUE :confused if this had anything to do with my problem or not, but), I happened to notice that the PageFile was "out of WHACK" (highly technical terminology there!) - in Windows "Auto-manage", it was "being managed" at less than what was "Recommended" by Windows (so...I don't know how THAT happens, but it was the case) ... in fact, there was about a 1000MB difference...

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  9. satrow

The recommended pagefile size is often larger than the actual, one of the reasons why I always fix the size of it manually.

My guess is that it was a recent Windows Update that caused the bug with the previously working version of the nVidia drivers, I've been seeing a lot of similar cases in the last month or so. Anyway, you're up and running now - I'd not update anything (outside of updates for security reasons) while it still works 100% - if it ain't broke ... ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds