Display driver problem with NvIdia

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cozzie, May 7, 2011.

1. cozzie

cozzie Private E-2

I have a GE Force NvIdia 8600GT with the latest driver 270.61.

Recently when playing ITV Player (UK TV) and BBCi Player the video has started to freeze leaving just the audio. After a few minutes I get an error message saying "The Nv4 display driver has stopped working normally". It doesn't say why or what I might do.

I have been to the NvIdia site and found that others are having this problem, but no one has come up with an answer apart from the usual (have you got the latest driver? Yes)

I wondered if anyone here has had the same problem and come up with an answer. Is there perhaps any likelihood that the new driver is the problem? I can't remember whether the problem started before or after I installed it.

Thanks
    Cozzie

2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Welcome cozzie,

Try installing an older version of the nVidia drivers, I'd try the previous WHQL version first.

If you gave your Windows version, Service Pack level and whether Windows is fully updated or not, we might be able to furnish more specific answers or troubleshooting methods.

3. cozzie

cozzie Private E-2

Thanks Satrow,

I'll give that a try.
    I have XP Home SP3 and it's full updated.

4. satrow

Make sure, for security reasons, if nothing else, that you have the latest Flash Player installed, uninstall all older versions and check for updated versions weekly. Copy the above link and paste it into IE and any 3rd party browser you might (should) have installed, the components are different for the 2 types of browser.

5. cozzie

cozzie Private E-2

Thanks for your advice Satrow.

I followed your tips, and I also freshly installed the new driver before trying to install an old one and so far both IE and Firefox seem to be working quite smoothly.

Thanks again
    Cozzie

6. satrow

No worries cozzie, glad to help.

Tip: once you get it all working well, stop updating drivers until some random update breaks them again ;) if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

7. cozzie

cozzie Private E-2

Thanks for the tip. As a compulsive updater I'll bear that in mind!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds