Display Drivers Have Crashed And Have Now Recovered

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Silverthunder, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Silverthunder

Silverthunder Sergeant

I previously got some help on some troubleshooting here
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/index.php?threads/driver_power_state_failure.306545/#post-1969376

Figured I'd start a new thread as that thread has become quite a long read now.

Let me recap previous thread/ explain what I have done so far.
    Most common issue is that I get a message that the display drivers have crashed and have recovered. When this happens, the windows that I have open go black for a few seconds.

The proposed solution for this was to uninstall security software. I had multiple antivirus programs running, and Malwarebytes. Also has multiple backup/ file sharing programs, and suggestion was to trim that down to one. Also suggested that I update drivers and software.

Getting rid of Eset NOD and reinstalling Malware bytes did seem to help somewhat or for a brief period. Problem is pretty much back in full swing now. Also, I only have Zoolz running in the system tray, and not One Drive, Google drive, or Drop Box. I do sometimes load up Google drive so that the data will sync with other devices. But then after that, I close it. One Drive seems to be mostly out of the picture but I do see it in the menu on the left when I am using file explorer.

I got a little bit lost on the suggestion to update drivers. Right clicking on the device and updating the driver doesn't yield any needed updates. For the graphics drivers, I used Intel's tool (it's integrated graphics card) and that didn't find anything. I also seem to remember reading on Intel's website that they suggest getting the updates through the computer manufacturer (HP in this case).

HP Support Assistant doesn't seem to take much action. It shows "no updates available" and the last updates were on 7/20/16 for USB card reader & 7/20 Intel Rapid storage technology.

I was over on the HP forums trying to get some help with updating the audio drivers. Yes audio drivers may seems a little off topic but figured it couldn't hurt. Not an employee of HP but just a member of that forum said that if the audio seems to work ok, you really shouldn't mess with it.

Recently, I disabled Malware bytes from the start up. I have the paid version that is installed and runs in the background.

Here are some other issues that happen regularly:
    1) The computer cannot shut down because something is running. The name of the program is a bunch of letters and numbers surrounded by [ ] or { } (can't remember which of those it is). This happens quite regularly. At least 25% of the time when I am trying to shut down my computer.
    2) sometimes something flashes on the computer screen. A flash of some graphics but it's very quick so I can't describe it. I think it's mostly black. I think it happens when I am opening a new window. This happens regularly but I would have to pay more attention to give a description of when it happens.
    3) The computer is slow when I am dealing with images. Especially when I try to open 2 photos in relatively quick succession. Usually no graphic will show for a few seconds after I open the 2nd photo.

Here are some other issues that happened just once or a couple of times recently:
    4) Computer just hung on the shut down screen endlessly (I left it overnight and was still on that screen). This just happened once.
    5) When computer was booting up, it came to a screen "scanning and repairing" drive C. After a short delay, it booted normally. This happened just once.
    6) One of my friends lent me a memory card and my computer has twice now said that it wants to repair that drive. I let it both times. We'll see if it happens again.

What should I try next?

2. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Examine your auto start up processes - using Autoruns (in ADMINISTRAOR mode) is very detailed.
    Re the previous issues, it is correct that apart from Windows inbuilt security, you should never ever have more than one third party real time AV program installed.

3. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

4/5/6 -- Try running chkdsk f/r - as you have a repair happening to your C drive, I suspect you may have some damaged sectors on the hard drive.
    Download mini partition wizard and run the disk check- it will show you if there are bad bits on the disc
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/minitool_partition_wizard_home_edition.html
    Display drivers can be awkward, and generally if a laptop use only the manufacturers recommended drivers. Sometimes rolling back the display driver will work, when the latest are playing up.

4. Silverthunder

Silverthunder Sergeant

Thanks, guys, for the suggestions thus far. I will delve into those shortly.

Another thing that happens that I forgot to mention is that I regularly get crashes where the contents of open windows go black and then Chrome says, "Rats! WebGL hit a snag." Then I can choose ignore or reload.

5. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds