Display Properties Does Not Work

Discussion in 'Software' started by arusso1960, May 26, 2007.

1. arusso1960

arusso1960 Private E-2

Hi,

You guys have helped me before and you guys were great...now comes problem #2. When I right click on the desktop and choose properties the display properties box blinks in and goes out. I've removed my stand alone video card and tapped in to the onboard card and the results are the same. This does not happen when booting in safe mode. All functions of the display properties works in safe mode. Can you help me again?

ARUSSO

2. arusso1960

arusso1960 Private E-2

Problem #2 just got worse. PC is freezing, applications will not open (or open slowly), some will not even open, or some open out of the blue. Computer is acting like it has a virus. I've run 5 different anti-virus programs and none have found anything.....Need help for sure now.

ARUSSO

3. Bugballou

Bugballou MajorGeek

I believe your suspicions are correct, check out the read me first in malware forums. With the pc I got on the cheap it was msconfig and regedit that wouldn't open. Then hijack this, and make sure you pay attention to the details. One Anti Virus active at a time...

4. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Sure sounds like malware.

But, Video drivers can cause that symptom also, be sure and check that.

Steve

5. arusso1960

arusso1960 Private E-2

Bugballou,

Thanks you for this forum yet again!. First I would like to say that I first noticed a problem when my display properties box started acting funny. Right clicking on the desktop and going to properties would sometimes display the properties box for a few seconds, and right now the box appears but the functionallity of the box is shot. If you click on the desktop tab the entire box disappears. If you change any settings in the screen saver and click apply the box dissappers and the new settings are never applied. Sometimes there are tab(s) missing. Now the system is freezing, posting many program not responding, applications don't open when clicked, some open on their own. The overall system perfomance is slow and sluggish. I have a 3.33 GHz system with 2.0 Gigs of RAM. I've updated & run 5 virus scans and nothing (Trend Micro, AVG 7.5 & EZ-Trust). I loaded Ad-Ware, Spybot, and AVG 7.5 Anti-Spyware and they found nothing as well. At first I was thinking my video card or drivers were bad I updated all of the drivers. I also disconnected my stand alone card from the motherboard and pluged my monitor in to the the onboard video jack and the same results. The funny thing was when I was updating and removing video drivers, my system would only allow me to uninstall or disable previous drivers in safe mode. I could install them in normal mode, but not uninstall them or disable them. Going through your read this before posting Ad-ware, Spybot, and AVG 7.5 found nothing. Bitdefender did find something and logs are attached. I'm tech savy so you can give it to me straight and I will be able to follow your instructions. I'm at the point to where reloading windows might be an option, but I hope not. My hijack this log is bellow:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
    Scan saved at 8:34:48 PM, on 5/26/2007
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgemc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\inetsrv\inetinfo.exe
    C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust Antivirus\InoRpc.exe
    C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust Antivirus\InoRT.exe
    C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust Antivirus\InoTask.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\CA\SHARED~1\SCANEN~1\InoDist.exe
    C:\Program Files\CA\SharedComponents\CA_LIC\LogWatNT.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\NeoWatch\NWSERVICE.exe
    C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\svcntaux.exe
    C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\swdsvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\SDTrayApp.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\alg.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe
    C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
    C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\avgas.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    C:\Documents and Settings\Anthony Russo.TONY\Desktop\hijack this\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.tampabay.rr.com/
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://www.tampabay.rr.com/
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.tampabay.rr.com/
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
    O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - H:\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_01\bin\ssv.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSConfig] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\MSConfig.exe /auto
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SDTray] "C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\SDTrayApp.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [!AVG Anti-Spyware] "C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\avgas.exe" /minimized
    O4 - Global Startup: NeoWatch Startup.lnk = C:\Program Files\NeoWatch\NeoWatchTray.exe
    O8 - Extra context menu item: &NeoTrace It! - C:\PROGRA~1\NeoWatch\NTXcontext.htm
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O9 - Extra button: NeoTrace It! - {9885224C-1217-4c5f-83C2-00002E6CEF2B} - C:\PROGRA~1\NeoWatch\NTXtoolbar.htm (HKCU)
    O16 - DPF: {215B8138-A3CF-44C5-803F-8226143CFC0A} (Trend Micro ActiveX Scan Agent 6.6) - http://housecall65.trendmicro.com/housecal...ivex/hcImpl.cab
    O16 - DPF: {5D86DDB5-BDF9-441B-9E9E-D4730F4EE499} (BDSCANONLINE Control) - http://download.bitdefender.com/resources/scan8/oscan8.cab
    O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/...b?1171854355437
    O18 - Protocol: ms-help - {314111C7-A502-11D2-BBCA-00C04F8EC294} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Help\hxds.dll
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igfxsrvc.dll
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
    O21 - SSODL: WPDShServiceObj - {AAA288BA-9A4C-45B0-95D7-94D524869DB5} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\WPDShServiceObj.dll
    O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG Anti-Spyware Guard - Anti-Malware Development a.s. - C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG E-mail Scanner (AVGEMS) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgemc.exe
    O23 - Service: CA License Client (CA_LIC_CLNT) - Computer Associates - C:\Program Files\CA\SharedComponents\CA_LIC\lic98rmt.exe
    O23 - Service: CA License Server (CA_LIC_SRVR) - Computer Associates - C:\Program Files\CA\SharedComponents\CA_LIC\lic98rmtd.exe
    O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
    O23 - Service: eTrust Antivirus RPC Server (InoRPC) - Computer Associates International, Inc. - C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust Antivirus\InoRpc.exe
    O23 - Service: eTrust Antivirus Realtime Server (InoRT) - Computer Associates International, Inc. - C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust Antivirus\InoRT.exe
    O23 - Service: eTrust Antivirus Job Server (InoTask) - Computer Associates International, Inc. - C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust Antivirus\InoTask.exe
    O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    O23 - Service: Event Log Watch (LogWatch) - Computer Associates - C:\Program Files\CA\SharedComponents\CA_LIC\LogWatNT.exe
    O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
    O23 - Service: NeoWatch Monitor Service (NWService) - Unknown owner - C:\PROGRA~1\NeoWatch\NWSERVICE.exe
    O23 - Service: Spyware Doctor Auxiliary Service (sdAuxService) - PC Tools - C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\svcntaux.exe
    O23 - Service: Spyware Doctor Service (sdCoreService) - PC Tools - C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\swdsvc.exe

This post has been edited by DaShadow1960: Yesterday, 12:16 PM

--------------------

"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

The Shadow knows!"

Attached Files:

6. arusso1960

arusso1960 Private E-2

Bugballou,

The Other 2 files.

Attached Files:

7. Amjad

Amjad Corporal

Ok, Anthony, I don't know what to say...

Your HijackThis log seems clean

As a final try to verify for viruses, I suggest that you download NOD32 Antivirus System found at http://www.eset.com or get it from MajorGeeks

Uninstal all your antivirus software, of course.

Anyway, install it and run the scan (In-depth Analysis) in Safe Mode.

If there were any viruses, I'm sure that NOD32 will at least tell you about if not eliminate them.

But from the your discription, I don't know if it's hardware-related, driver problem, or a corrupted windows file.

Just try this:

Start --> Run then type: "sfc /scannow" without the quotes

You may need the Windows installation CD

Tell me what you got

8. arusso1960

arusso1960 Private E-2

Amjad

downloaded NOD32 Antivirus System and 0 threats were found.

Ran sfc /scannow and the first file that it found missing or corrupted was DLL Cache. I put the CD in and it took off from there. The CD spun up many times and the lighted blinked. Could only assume that it was fixing things. After all of that my Display Properties Box will not even come up now. When I right click on the desktop and go down to properties the hour glass spins but then it stops. On repeated attempts the same thing happens. I'm frustrated and ready to give up.Now the box will not even come up. Any other suggestions, other than backup my stuff and reload windows?

Anthony

9. plastidust

plastidust Command Sergeant Major

I'm no expert but it looks to me like you have 2 AV's and 2 anti-spyware's running. You need to shut 1 AV down and 1 anti-spyware down. You should only have one of each running at any given time.

10. arusso1960

arusso1960 Private E-2

plastidust,

I did shut down all anti-virus programs but not anti-spyware programs. I am at work right now but will try that when I get home. Thanks, but I think it's fried and I will have to re-install windows. If anybody has any other suggestions pls let me know

Anthony

11. arusso1960

arusso1960 Private E-2

ALL,

AT THIS POINT MY COMPUTER IS RUNNING FASTER AND BETTER. I DO NOT GET PROGRAM is NOT RESPONDING AND THE COMPUTER SEEMS BETTER, but on bootup it pauses. I mean the desktop picture comes up and the system is idle for about 45 sec. to a minute before the hour glass starts and the icons are on the desktop. This now is a problem, but once up the system is much better.

12. Amjad

Amjad Corporal

Really strange...confused

I'm taking all possibilities into consideration, and I hope it's not a hardware-failure

How long have you had your computer? It seems fairly new...
    How was its performance till the problem occured? Was it stable?

Do you have any system restore points before the date of the problem?
    Restoring your system to that point would be a good choice.

Keep us informed of what happens with you.

13. arusso1960

arusso1960 Private E-2

Amjad,

IT WORKS!!!! :boxing I feel so relieved that I don't have to load windows again. Get ready for this one. I have to start this story out like star wars. Imagine if you will...the theme from star wars playing....

A Long Time Ago, In A Galaxy Far Far Away, A Driver Conflict Took Place...:cry

My wife and I were searching high and low for any clue or hint on the Major Geeks.com site for anything similar to what was going on with me and we ran in to an interesting thread that read that display properties were not working My wife read the thread (Thread #34699, posted by Da Chicken, on 6-13-04 @ 2:56AM). The resolution was that he had nVidia drivers loaded with his new video card and that the drivers were causing a conflict with his display properties in windows. Well I had just taken in that bit of info while I was trying to replace the desk.cpl file from the system32 folder when I then ran across a folder that was named nVidia drivers. Well about 2 months ago I replaced my video card but never uninstalled the nVidia drivers for it. Well I said at this point let me uninstall them (What do I Have To Loose) The conflict was that folder of drivers.

I've been through the ringer with this and it is nice to know that you guys are out there every step of the way helping folks like me. I registered for boot camp at the SWI Forum site for helping others. My payment back is to help others in my shoes. My sign on with SWI is DaShadow1960. If you guys every want to send me an email, pls do.

This Padawan could use a good Master...:wave
    Darth Vader is still dead....:major
    and Anthony lived happily ever after... :D

The Force Will Be With You... Always...

The End.

P.S. Can you tell I'm happy?:cool

14. Amjad

Amjad Corporal

This is great!

Congratulations!

;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds