Divx spyware?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Kurokage, Jan 15, 2006.

1. Kurokage

Kurokage Private E-2

I have read a lot of things about divx and spyware, and it seems pretty conflicting. Their statement right now is that they don't have any, but many threads in the internet say that they do, and I am confused. Can anyone any clarify for me? Do they or do they not?

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

I've always known the DivX codec pack to come bundled with GAIN software. You're right though; there are many mixed reviews. I posted this before, and instantly had people telling me I was wrong. Funny, the divx installer had a pop-up announcing its support from GAIN, and when I removed the GAIN software with adaware, divx stopped functioning. Now, this may have changed, as I haven't used the divx codec pack in some time. I found VLC Media Player, which comes with every codec I've ever needed, and I've used nothing since.

3. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

4. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

SOFTWARE INSTALLATION: Components bundled with our software may report to Licensor and/or its affiliates the installation status of certain marketing offers, such as toolbars, and also generalized installation information, such as language preference and operating system version, to assist Licensor in its product development. No personal information will be communicated to DivX, Inc. or its affiliates during this process. Licensor may in the future offer additional components (such as a toolbar) through our version checking/update system.

This is an excerpt from the EULA for the divx PLAYER

Okay, so I am wrong...and right... the divx PLAYER on the divx website comes bundled with spyware, not the codec. I've installed it, and just working to get rid of the spyware crap. Hoo freaking ray!

Just go with the MG download, they're straight shooters. Or even better, go with VLC...then you don't need to ever worry about this crap.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds