Dlink router setup wizard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Vikingman4456, Jan 24, 2009.

1. Vikingman4456

Vikingman4456 Private First Class

I cannot seem to get to this. I type what the manual says into my web browser and it says the page cannot be displayed. I do have the CD that came with the router and I figure it is probably on that, but I don't want to have it load my computer up with a bunch of stuff that I don't want. So how can I achieve a quicker connection which is what I started out to do here in the first place. I have XP home with IE6--cable internet through a Motorola surfboard SB5101--and the router is a Dlink DI-604. Yes I do have a malware free machine, running free antivirus=AntiVir PE and a free firewall by Online Armor. Hope I coverd everything here?

2. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

3. Vikingman4456

Thanks for the link, I visited it and I didn't get anywhere, but I did find find a couple updates for the routers firmware which I tried to install and it can't ??? It gives me a message that "I'm attempting to open a bin file" and gives me options of "open with or Cancel".. I proceed to open with and it takes me to a choice to open with the web or choose a program to open with blah blah blah!! So at this point I need to know how to open these BIN files and install them I guess. Any suggestions ??

4. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

So, no go on any of the suggestions in the link.
    Any reason not to update to IE7? It's more secure than IE6.
    Also, you could use the DLink application from the CD to see if that will allow you to get into the router and then remove the software once you are done.
    You could also try an alternate browser.
    You could also try resetting the router back to factory defaults and redoing the connection.

As to upgrading the firmware, you need to be in the configuration pages to do that.

5. Vikingman4456

Yeah I was about to resort to the cd anyway to see where that may get me..just didn't want the hassle of removing stuff that I didn't need. Sometimes that can be a headache as some stuff is hard to wipe out ya know. As for IE7 I could not get the feel for it nor did I like the esthetics, so I just stick with what I find more comfortable. It took me forever to get away from using 98se as my OS cause I was so comfortable with that LOL. Thanks for the suggestions and I'll keep tryin stuff here.

6. Metalhed

Metalhed Private E-2

I just want to throw some love at the people who post on this site. :heart:wave:clap:wine:celebrate :heart:wave:wine:celebrate:guitar

--I spent 3 hours of my life that I'll never get back dinking with those @$$#o!3$ at verizon. I got a new westell 6100F modem piece of crap that took 2 hours on the phone with the V-tards to get activated...then spent another hr trying to get someone from tech un-support to help me re-connect to my dlink di-524 wireless router (which worked fine when connected to the old modem, which I replaced because it was 6 years old, wouldn't stay connected, had been dropped and couldn't stay connected to the power supply, etc.) Verizon was as useful as a screen door on a submarine. I also have to say how frustrated I was getting routed to people who had very thick accents. I understand people need to work but dang, you'd think they'd put people on the tech support lines who could communicate in the same language as the callers. ARRRRGH. No, that would make sense. rolleyes

Using the information I culled from several sites (and the D-link tech support) I am happy to say I was able to re-set the router to the factory original defaults, get the modem and the router "talking," and get both of my computers (laptop and pc) using the wireless network. I am not a techie by any means, but I'm not exactly a newb either, and it just baffled me that I couldn't just plug in the new modem and have the piece of crap work. Anyways, you guys saved me lots of $$$ by not having to call dlink support (for which they charge) and I can't say enough good things about this site. I recommend all my friends to you whenever they're stuck with a computer problem. Thanks and thanks again--I has teh internetz bak, yay! :cloud9:grouphug:dood

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds