DNS Cache Clearing?

Discussion in 'Software' started by grc123, Jul 29, 2008.

1. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Can anyone possibly tell me how to do this (Clear the DNS Cache)? I believe we were affected here (my folks PC) by this MS Update (KB951748) that renderered our intenet connection (in Windows XP) inoperable (due to a compatibility issue with our ZA FW?), though I just happened across the information about this "issue" today (I recently had some major surgery and have been out of the loop) so I was unaware of all the ruckus except that my mom said that she was having problems).

After multiple "System Restores", and changes of a number of settings (regrettably, now) the biggest problem I seem to be having is getting Windows Defender to Update (I have definition version 1.37.271.0 dated 7/3/08), and this is the only "Real Time" AntiSpy program I have. The icon is "up" (showing) in the lower-right-hand corner of the task bar, but there is an exclamation point (WARNING) with it highlighted in yellow. When I attempt to "Repair" the connection I'm told the DNS Cache cannot be cleared.

Any takers?

Thanks,
    glenn
    PS Firefox is also a problem ... the browser loads (the frame of it) but I cannot get any pages to load within it - and am now accessing the web from IE7 only.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  2. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

3. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

4. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

Glad to help you!!:wave

5. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Well as I said - all's well with Defender now, which is a big relief, but this procedure (which was extremely fast and simple) did not address my "no Firefox browser" nor "no Flash Player" issues.

back to square one with those I suppose.

Thanks again,
    glenn ...

6. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds