DNS Server for Win2k

Discussion in 'Software' started by Genius Boy, Mar 18, 2003.

1. Genius Boy

Genius Boy The Examinator

I have just set up an experimental win2k server on a box at home using Windows 2000 Professional.

Win 2k Pro doesn't come with the Microsoft DNS Server, so I currently have no DNS server software. Can anyone recommend a DNS server program/application that I can get for free and implement relatively easily on my new server?

(Please no "Go with Linux" replies. I have to use windows on this server because a client has written an application that needs a windows server to run on.)

2. Strogg

Strogg 5-Star Freakin' Geek

I'm assuming that computer's going to be plugged into the World Wide Web through some internet connection from your house. If so, you don' t need any local DNS.

You can do this several ways. First, you can get an account at geocities or something like that, then make a frame with the source being your computer at home. A second way you can do it is by getting a domain name (I got mine from godaddy.com) and then use a free DNS solution (I use zoneedit.com) to make your connection work. At zoneedit, you can either use the redirect or the IP address feature to point to your machine. If you are going to use port 80 for the webserver (meaning a true to blue domain name service), you can use the host header thing to block out everyone BUT the people who accessed your computer through yourWebSite.com. That's how I do mine.

I'm not sure if I answered your question, but I'm sure at least one of these sentences helped.

3. Genius Boy

It's not that I need DNS, it's just that I want to be able to use domain names rather than IP addresses.

I am going to use port 80 and have a 'true to blue domain service'.

The redirect idea is a good one, but it just seems to easy ;) I 'd rather do it the hard core geeky way.

4. Strogg

Strogg 5-Star Freakin' Geek

redirect is mainly for people who either use a super-long site name (ie www.somename.someplace.com/members/imjustmakingstuffuphere/someoddname/) and would rather have www.someoddname.com, or if they're running a home server that has port 80 blocked out. assuming you don't have port 80 blocked, just use someone else's dns servers to get the job done. again, zoneedit.com will get the job done for you at no charge. if you DO have port 80 blocked, you're going to have to pick an arbitrary port (like 8383) and run your webserver off of that using the redirect feature with masking (so your ip addy isn't visible in the address bar; it'll be visible in page properties, though).

5. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

6. Genius Boy

Ok, I guess I wasn't clear enough.

I don't want to forward a domain name to the IP address of my server. I work for a web hosting company and can set that up on my Linux server in a minute, if I wanted to.

What I have have done is install Win 2k Pro on a computer here at home and set up a server. It uses port 80 and works fine. You can see it here. I haven't done anything to make it secure yet, so you can go hack through it if you want.

What I want to do is setup my own domain name service server here at home. I want to install the software that links the domain name to the IP address. I don't simply want people to be forwarded.

Does this make sense?

7. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

8. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

trying to keep thread on first page :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds