Do I Need Special Software To Block Access To A Specific Website?

Discussion in 'Software' started by LCH, Jul 3, 2003.

1. LCH

LCH "Geek" In Training

I WANT TO RENDER MY COMPUTER INCAPABLE OF ACCESSING TWO CERTAIN WEBSITES. I Need some info on how to block webpages. I tried going to TOOLS>INTERNET OPTIONS>CONTENT and enabling CONTENT ADVISOR, but this did not work well at all. I also tried this by accessing CONTENT ADVISOR through SETTINGS>CONTROL PANEL> INTERNET OPTIONS.

The problem was that it ended up blocking every website on
    the internet, even though I only specified to block TWO
    SPECIFIC websites. It seems that it made me specify every
    single website that is OK to visit, as well as specifying
    sites that were never OK to visit. And even when I cleared
    a website, I kept getting access refusal to websites that
    I had already cleared by checking the option, "ALWAYS
    ALLOW ACCESS TO THIS WEBSITE". Sometimes I had cleared these sites multiple times, but still had trouble
    accessing them. I ONLY WANT TO BLOCK TWO MEASLY WEBPAGES - NOT THE WHOLE INTERNET!!! :eek:

Am I doing something wrong here, or does this proceedure
    have a bug that prevents it from working effectively? IS
    THERE ANOTHER WAY TO BLOCK A WEBSITE? Do I need to get special software to do it? Thanks for shedding light on this dilemna.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2003
  2. Maxwell

Maxwell Folgers

Add the web-sites to the Restricted zone Tools/Internet Options then select the security tab and Restricted icon and add the web sites here. You can further customise the capabilities of the web sites in the restricted zone.

3. LCH

LCH "Geek" In Training

I actually tried that, too, but the unwanted sites still load. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. ???

4. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

the hosts file is your answer..it's easy to do.
    Do a search for HOSTS in your windows system directory ..it looks like this when you open it up.

# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
    #
    # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
    #
    # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
    # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
    # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
    # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
    # space.
    #
    # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
    # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
    #
    # For example:
    #
    # 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
    # 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost

now just add the following at the bottom of the file

127.0.0.1 www.website1.com
    127.0.0.1 www.website2.com

that's it! just make sure you put the names of the sites where I have website1 and website2 ;)

save the file and try it out.

edit: make sure you open it with notepad.. it has no file extension.

5. LCH

LCH "Geek" In Training

Kodo, thanks. Someone else had suggested that to me, but did not explain it well. Your post is very easy to understand (I think :) ). I will give "host file" a try.

Still, I can't figure out why the proceedures in my Internet Explorer browser did not work well. Did I do something wrong or do I not understand what these functions are for, or does this really not work as intended? Just curious.

6. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

the security restricted sites do not block you from going to a site. They just disable scripting and cookies/sessions, pretty much all the functionality of the site so it blocks bad scripts and javascript etc.. but you can still get there.

7. jmcgrath

jmcgrath Private E-2

I have Windows XP, How do I block a website to prevent a person from viewing material on the webpage?

any suggestions are appreciated!

8. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

go back to beginning of this thread and read the posts. The answer is already given.

9. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

10. Ramesh

Ramesh Private E-2

i have already gone through the message which explained me how to use the "hosts" file in windows folder to block a specific site. but is there any possibility to block the whole websites except some sites.

11. questionabouttheweb

questionabouttheweb Private E-2

Hi
    the message quoted below works well. I can use it to block a website. However, it does not seem to work for some web pages within sites. Specifically, I can not seem to block or restrict the google preferences page.
    Any ideas?

thanks

# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
    #
    # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
    #
    # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
    # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
    # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
    # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
    # space.
    #
    # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
    # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
    #
    # For example:
    #
    # 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
    # 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost

now just add the following at the bottom of the file

127.0.0.1 www.website1.com
    127.0.0.1 www.website2.com

that's it! just make sure you put the names of the sites where I have website1 and website2 ;)

save the file and try it out.

edit: make sure you open it with notepad.. it has no file extension.[/QUOTE]

12. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

the entery should look like this

127.0.0.1 google.com
    or
    127.0.0.1 ww.google.com

I tested it here and it did block the page successfully.

13. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

14. questionabouttheweb

questionabouttheweb Private E-2

Thanks..BUT...
    I ONLY wish to block the preferences page in google:
    i.e. www.google.com/preferences?hl=en

(I still want to use google in general - bacically I have set the preferences and do not want them changed).

I tried:
    127.0.0.1 google.com/preferences
    127.0.0.1 www.google.com/preferences?hl=en
    127.0.0.1 google.com/preferences?hl=en

but it still comes up....
    thanks..

15. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

To block specific urls, you may need 3rd party software or set up a proxy server.

16. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Oh damn, will I never learn.:) Had the reply all typed out and the MG server crashed.:p DVD8 Cowboy keeps telling me to compose my reply in notepad but I keep on ignoring that advice. I'm a slow learner.

QATW, I am not sure what you are trying to achieve but I have a favourite stored/called

Google USA advanced enhanced standard boilerplate

the URL is

http://www.google.com/advanced_search?q=standard&num=20&hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8&as_qdr=all

This gets me to Google, advanced search, English, 20 posts and searches for the word "standard", without quotes. This is my standard enhanced search. I simply delete the word standard and insert whatever I want to search for in the appropriate box/boxes.

Anyone can stuff around how they like but I have my standard enhanced search safe as a Favourite. Is this what you are trying to achieve? Ignore this if it is not what you are getting at. Bazza

===

17. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

Or you could use a real browser like Firefox, which is smart enough to save your form data for the tab. ;)

18. infi_grow

infi_grow Private E-2

hi ,
    AS mentioned above all the guidelines for blocking specific websites, I have tried all the things but still i am unable to block website.
    I will tell you what i ahve tried.
    1) I have restricted from restrcited zone as well as content advisor bit it did not work.
    2) I have tried with the host file also but still it is not working.

Now tell me what else i can do to restrict website.
    I ahve windows 2000 server and professional O.S.
    If anybody knows it then please get back to me in my personal mail ID " infi_grow@rediffmail.com"

Thanks and Regards,
    Atul SHinde

19. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

d_c, Not sure how this would help me. I was typing my reply using MG reply, and MG crashed. Can you explain how FF works to me and I will give it a try. Bazza

======

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds