Do I need to fix Video Controller problem before replacing a notebook screen?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by b2009, Sep 11, 2012.

1. b2009

b2009 Private First Class

I'm not sure which issue to attack first..

I cracked the screen in my notebook harshly. It fell off a desk and the screen received a concentrated impact pretty much dead center on it's screen. When I booted up I could still see the left vertical 5% of the screen but the rest looked terrible, with tear-like scars centralized on the 'impact point'. Since then I did a factory restore just to get it running again..using an external monitor.

Thankfully it still works when I attach an old crt monitor and toggle it on via the keyboard function keys. It actually worked fine for about a week...until I shut it down vs. Hibernate which I had been doing the entire week.

Now, after that regular shutdown it no longer offers the choice of hibernate or standby..they are both grayed out at the shutdown screen...I can only choose Restart or full Shutdown.

I've since purchased a complete replacement 'lid' for the notebook (everything above the hinge) but I'm not sure if I need to address another issue first or not.

That issue is a problem in my device manager that cannot seem to find a driver for the "Other Devices" under which are: 'Video Controller' and 'Video Controller (vga compatable)', which have yellow question marks on them.

I know the original Video on the computer was Nvidia (it still has a non-responding Nvidia icon in the Control Panel). I have downloaded the nvidia driver from Dell, but when I run it is says something like 'hardware not found'.

At this point, I just feel like swapping out the lid of the computer with the new one, OR just taking the screen off the used lid I bought and swap them out.

Got any advise about which issues need to be addressed and in what order?

Thanks

Dell Latitude D620 Notebook, XP Pro, SP3. Recently gone through a Factory Restore to get it to run after the screen was smashed and it wouldn't even boot up. It runs OK now via the external monitor, but with no Hibernate or Standby options.

(was not sure which forum to post to, sorry)

Brian

2. thisisu

thisisu Malware Consultant

Sounds like you either downloaded the wrong driver or it isn't installing properly.

What's the service tag of your Dell? I'll try to help you find the correct driver. Or you can double-check on your own. support.dell.com

It doesn't matter which order (drivers first, or LCD replacement first) but if it were my broken laptop, I'd replace the LCD first and then work on installing the driver(s).

Last would be looking into the Sleep / Hibernate issue.

3. b2009

The Service Code is 4BBSQD1 .....which yielded:

...............................................................................
    Video (3)
    File Title Importance Release Date Version Actions
    Dell-Driver
    R135765.EXE (4682616)
    Applies to:
    Dell Device
    Optional
    10/10/2006
    6.14.10.4634, A03

nVidia-Driver
    NVIDIA_MULTI-DEVICE_A08_R191214.exe (61136784)
    Applies to:
    Quadro NVS 110M
    Recommended
    6/30/2009
    175.97 WHQL, A08

Intel-Driver
    R153830.EXE (15589376)
    Applies to:
    945GM Graphics Controller
    Optional
    5/14/2007
    6.14.10.4814, A0

Which I have already downloaded and failed at attempted installation.

It seems others have had problems with installing this driver as well.

As I've never had to deal with a complete restore before, these driver issues are new to me.

For what it's worth, I recall that during the Restore there was a message about it not finding the Sigma Tel audio driver (I skipped it).

Also, I have a full backup using Paragon, but I'm not too familiar with using it for a Restore (learning quickly though).

It is a rehab but worked fine until it fell off the desk.

I'm just worried about the external monitor (at least for emergency use) not working once I replace the screen without fixing the Video Driver issue first. In my research, I suspect the No Hibernation issue is video driver related.

Thanks.

4. thisisu

5. b2009

ps. I tried the driver install again. It unzipped fine, the nVid Splash Screen came up, then Error message and shutdown. The error message was 'can't find hardware matching this driver' more or less.

I'll try the intel now.

I'm pretty sure it's an nVid because I recall using the setup icon in the taskbar..and the nVid Icon still sitting in the control panel. It does nothing when clicked.

6. b2009

Hey, the Intel worked. No device manager issues anymore.

I guess I feel confident now to swap the notebook screen.

Weird that the "nVidia nView Desktop Manager" Icon is still there doing nothing.

Thanks so much.

I'll report back later.

7. b2009

All my Power Options are now working again too, as well as having more monitor options. Hibernate too.

I'm happy now. Thanks again.

8. thisisu

Glad to hear it :)

9. b2009

I got the screen replaced with a used one so everything looks good at this point.

I have to say, there are some great youtube videos out there for repairing notebooks, something I wouldn't even think of trying a couple years ago. Makes me realize how many parts are salvageable on a 'dead' notebook.

Out.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds