Do I really need 2 gigs of memory?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by foreverice, Sep 22, 2006.

1. foreverice

foreverice Private E-2

Question.

I recently purchased a new mainboard from Frys elecronics. My questiion is: what is the difference if I have 1 gig of memory installed in a DDR-2 slot as oppposed to installing a second stick of equal value. Will the system run faster more smoothly. I have no problems with it now and I don't play games that demand a lot of processor speed, preety much e-mail, word processing, and music files are all I deal with.

Right now the memory I have installed is DDR-2 667 mhz. Like I said it runs fine and I'm just curious if I need it or will need it later down the road.

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

You should be good. For what it sounds like you use the computer for, you could probably use about half of the RAM you have now.

If you're concerned about performance, you can follow the instructions in the Speed Up Your PC thread. There's some easy tweaks to make your computer run faster.

3. nitecrawler

nitecrawler Guest

Your mobo probably allows you to operate your ram in dual channel mode.
    Basically this permits you to incorporate an additional memory module (of identical nature) onto a seperately banked, DIMM slot, thus effectively doubling your data throughput(the amount of available memory bandwidth) from ram to your CPU's memory controller.

I agree that you shouldn't require this option, given the tasks that you require from your system........

I really dont need it either, but i have it just so i sound cool to the lads..lol

This is probably the main reason that RAM can be increasingly purchased in 'kits' today!!!

4. foreverice

foreverice Private E-2

Well that is good to know.

I was under the impression that 1 gig was the minimum that I needed to run the system and was inclined to think that it would be running at the minumum of its capacity.

5. nitecrawler

nitecrawler Guest

Not true..... 1g of DDR-2 even in single channel config. is very capable!

Regards!!

6. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> I really dont need it either, but i have it just so i sound cool to the lads...lol << nitecrawler

Wow... how the times have changed! I remember the first computer that I had only 56MB Ram and after I decided to double it; I was the "envy" of the entire neighborhood! <lol>

You are correct though, most users don’t require this 2Gig option; and IMO it is a waste of money really if you don’t actually need it. Since the OP "foreverice" posted having no problems with it now and doesn't play games that demand a lot of processor speed; there would be no discernable difference as to how much more smoothly and/or how much faster the system runs.

Any user's ability to successfully and productively add RAM; in an effort to enhance system performance, will always depend entirely upon that particular system's current specs: System Manufacturer i.e. Apple/ Mac or PC type and version; Installed Operating System; Memory slot compatibility and/or sometimes other various system-related configuration requirements and/or limitations.

Currently I also have 2GB Ram on all of my machines; but only because I test new freeware as a hobby and I’m constantly running numerous apps, tasks, process, etc. simultaneously. It really comes in handy whenever I'm testing new audio or video apps that tend to be "memory gluttons" these days. I also like overclocking which (for those who might not know) is the process of forcing the various computer components to run at a higher clock rate than designed or designated by the manufacturer.

Good Luck!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2006
  7. nitecrawler

nitecrawler Guest

Hehe, yeh the good ol days!....i remember when my 3.3g Seagate HDD was 'state of the art'. And who can forget the pentium r, 75mHz.(It wasn't that long ago)

sigh...life is short! As is technology..

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2006
  8. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> sigh...life is short! As is technology... <<

Ahh... the memories.

And how quickly "hardware support" has gone the opposite way, too (down the drain, I mean)!

My sister got a permanent Blue Screen in late '99 or early 2000 on her 20GB Dell 4100. She called them on a Friday night, got right through (after like a ONE minute wait) and the very NEXT DAY - which was a Saturday, mind you - a Dell tech came to her home at 9:00 AM and replaced the drive with a brand new one, even though her warrantee was expired for about a month!

Nowadays you could probably grow a full beard waiting for Sahib (likely formerly a Chicken Tikka Sandwich Maker) to pick up the phone and proceed to tell you to "just reformat your hard drive;" whatever the problem may be! <lol>

Good Luck!

9. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

Personally I like my steak medium rare, but then my cooker only has 512mb ram. Each to their own I guess. ;)

10. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

you read my mind... scary that!

Overcooking, surely you mean Overclocking?

@foreverice
    Do you only have 1 stick of DDR2 at 1gb in your PC? if you have then to take full advantage of Dual Channel that your motherboard can handle then you will need another stick of 1gb ram, you will see a small increase in PC performance due to the ram working in a loosely similar way to RAID for Hard Drives.

But as Nitecrawler mentions in single channel your motheboard and DDR2 ram will work fine, especially as your using your PC for day to day applications like word, interent, email etc

........the main thing is are you happy with the performance you get at present?

I would give Mada Miltys link a read and just weed out some or any of the none needed startups Part C - Manage Startup Programs (All Windows Versions) on your PC as this will save some memory from being used up needlessly. But if you need post what your startups are and we can let you know which ones are needed or not.

11. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> Personally I like my steak medium rare, but then my cooker only has 512mb ram. Each to their own I guess. Matt <<

>> Overcooking, surely you mean Overclocking? Halo<<

LOL - Halo, can you correct that typo? If not, I'll officially declare this a Comp's Typo-Friday Holiday (4-thozeovu-dat-R-weyesguise)! <g>

Good Luck!

12. DavidGP

13. sewy18

sewy18 Private First Class

every gig makes a diffrence ALL the new games that are bein released early next year need 1gig or more.So in aobut 6-12moths you will need to have 2gigs to play the newer games.

14. DavidGP

While in essence I agree with you, that is not what the OP is using the PC for, post #1 bares that out. Plus with those games it will not just be extra ram you will need it will also be the latest GFX card as well to go with it, while system ram helps its the onboard gfx card ram and GPUs speed in throwing the polygons at the screen thats the major needed thing for the latest games as well as system ram.

Great thing with many motherboards these days is that they have at least 4 slots so extra ram can be added if needed.

I suspect I will migrate to 2gig at least in the next PC I build, as the graphical images I use for work do tend to take massive amounts of ram up and with Vista using a fair chunk as well, I would hazard a guess that min specs for the geeky types who will migrate from XP to Vista will be 2gig min, especially if your a gamer or photoshop/video/music creator.

15. foreverice

foreverice Private E-2

First, I would like to thank you all for the great replys. I feel loved for the lack of a better word.

Second, if you do not mind me asking you Halo, what does the acronym OP stand for.

Thirdly, I will look at Milty's web link and see what can be done.

Last, my computer runs great I don't have any negatives to post yet. Windows loads quickly and I surf more smoothly on the net with this one than my old HP 6535 would have.

16. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

OP : Original Poster

17. DavidGP

Superb, thats all we really want from our PCs to start quickly are run all the apps we need.

I would also advise having a read of this guide from our resident malware expert Chaslang as it has great tips on keeping your PC safe while on the internet How to Protect yourself from malware! and if you dont already have it installed DO get Spywareblaster, as it will proctect you from many malwares being installed in the first place as it blocks known bad cookies and activex exploits.... it doesnt run in the background so no PC resources are used and just needs updating once a week.

Plus their are some other really good applications there but do remember to only have 1 Antivirus 1 Firewall and 1 Live scanning AntiSpyware application installed at once.

and sorry about the acronym, I get in the habbit some days as we use many in work for long medical or computing things.

18. foreverice

foreverice Private E-2

Well, I went into the Services option under Administrative Tools and I did do some exploring.

There are a lot of services that start up when windows starts. I ended up stoping 3 services. Two were remote services for operating a remote desktop function and the other had to do with the display functionality.

Everything runs fine.

Back to work.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds