Do you use stock or aftermarket cooler if so which one?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pclover, Sep 18, 2009.

1. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

I use a aftermarket Noctua NH-U9B

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2009
  2. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Been using the Thrmalright stuff for a while. The TR True is a good one.
    I refuse to use the crappy plastic push pin nightmare of a heatsink Intel ships with their stuff.

3. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

i have c2d 6750, and the stock cooler fit just fine, and been keeping cool for over a year now.

have a p4 as well, with a stock cooler, and it's been 6 or so years running. I have heard of the nightmares of ppl installing the first c2ds with the stock fan and running into problems, but none here.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

I use a Zalman CNPS9900A to cool CPU, but love Noctua fans for their quietness, have 5 of their 120mm in my desktop at present, I just wanted as quiet as I could get without going liquid, and the stock CPU HSF and case fans didnt cut it, so went with the options listed.

5. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

I've got a Q6600 and the stock HSF is just fine @ stock speeds and constant %50+ use though I do agree with the above about the cheapo plastic push pins.

6. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

The stock Intel fans cool fine, but become quite a hassle after a removing the heatsink, the plastic mounts seem to wear out. Bolt on just makes more sense to me.

I don't overclock too much these days, not much of a point with Quad core CPU's... But I am still a cooling fanatic. :-D

7. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

I love intel stock HSF rolleyes

I was :mad trying to install it. I think I've got it down now tho.

8. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

I also don't see any real problem with the stock thermal solution sent with CPU's if you are not overclocking and have decent case ventilation. As Digitalocksmith said it is important to clean the fans on a regular basis.

I have used Zalman, ArticCooling, and Thermaltake products . . . though with Zalman it was a GPU cooler. All products used were good to excellent in quality and function.

I have a P4 3.0E with hyperthreading that has been overclocked to 3.30 for a number of years. It's equipped with an ArticCooling Freezer 4, which has kept the processor around 55 C while under heavy load. Idle temps have always been around 32 - 34 C.

9. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

I have a Q6600 and a Q6700 on my two PCs and stock cooler is fine even though i am running them hard for 12 hours per day.

My problem is keeping the GPUs cool.

10. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

same here, my problem is, I have an nvidia 8800gt with the slim fan, shouldve went with the double fan. I might get an aftermarket cooler for it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds