docx files have mysteriously been changed to notepad files

Discussion in 'Software' started by sierra, Jun 16, 2012.

1. sierra

sierra Private First Class

Vista - docx files have suddenly changed to notepad files which make it difficult to read. Why did this happen?
    Thank you for your assistance.

2. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Sounds like your file association got messed up. You should be able to right-click any one of the files and then "Open With" from the menu WinWord should be in the list or you may have to select Choose Program and navigate to WinWord then look for a box to set it as the default program.

Edit: Just saw Vista. Right-click one of the files and choose "Open with" and then "Choose Default Program". WinWord should be in the list.

3. sierra

All of the docx files on my computer have suddenly changed. How did this happen? So, I have to convert or go to open in Win word each time I open all the files? Crazy!

4. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hi,

The files didn't actually change, only the program designated to open them. You just need to right-click one of them and change the default program to open them to WinWord. Should be easy.

I can't say how it happened. Probably just one file was opened with the wrong program and that was somehow set to default.

5. sierra

Thanks so much! It worked! I appreciate your help. Have a great weekend.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds