Does anyone use Microsoft security essentials

Discussion in 'Software' started by BILLMCC66, Oct 23, 2011.

1. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

I have just finished building a PC for someone and loaded a genuine windows 7 OS, after activating it i got the usual reminder about MSE and as i have always installed Avast on the PCs i build i was just wondering if it has improved at all from the earlier versions.

2. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

Bill in my opinion MSE is a doing great. I'm also a long time user of Avast, have no issues with it as well.
    Unfortunately AV comparatives don't run MSE on a test bench.
    I have MSE on a few PCs- and am happy with it.
    Its a recommendedv AV by chaslang and many other MVPs.

Cheers..

Edit to Add: Its very current and is very able from what I see. I'll not go into it as the thread would lead to another tech site.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  3. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

I was a bit taken aback even to read the question. On all the sites I frequent MSE is held in very high regard. :confused It also has the big advantage of not having that blessed Avast woman telling me it has just updated its definitions!

4. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

Agree, it's a shock in the middle of the night. :-D Kill the audio from settings.

Cheers..

5. MadMal

MadMal Corporal

I love Microsoft Security Essentials, it really is "set and forget"
    All my family and friends who are average/home computer users have it and some actually do forget it's there. That's ok, they are protected and they won't be turning important things off because of annoying popups or computer slowness

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I just removed AntiVir from all the XP computers in the house because MS Security Essentials was running so well on my win 7 netbook. I do not hesitate when helping people set up a new computer to remove the paid trial av program (McAfee or Norton depending on the brand of computer) and replace it with MS Security Essentials.

7. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

:confused Oh really, MSE gets automatically installed with Win 7?

I'm a very happy avast! user.

8. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

We use it on our desktop. I use Comodo Internet Security on my Netbook, since we take it with us sometimes. If they person has a good router, and they keep the firewall enabled, MSE is only as good as the person using the computer.

Does not matter what security program is running, users can fubar a computer, quicker than a Toddler taking their hands after eating a Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwich, and rubbing them over everything, including stuffing the remainder in the dvd player.

9. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

usafvetern it is reminded in the updates, when a newly installed OS of XP, Vista, 7 are done now. MS is trying to protect users from themselves, but only if they install the stuff as advised.

10. Earthling

MSE doesn't need any user intervention :confused

11. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Well then, if the user declines MSE installation and installs other alternatives, when do the MSE update alerts stop?

12. Lavender

Lavender Master Sergeant

Plodr - I have MSE installed. Do I need Panda AV or are they conflicting? Dell Vista.

Many times, when I open my computer, all my security programs are disabled and this is disturbing and threatening.

13. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Really not clear on what you are implying. Any software, namely A/V products need human interaction.

14. Earthling

Perhaps I should have emphasised 'need'. The default setup of MSE will automatically keep itself updated and perform a weekly scan. There is no user intervention required at all for it to fulfil its role.

15. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Again as I already stated, which I will state again. MSE and any security program is only as good as the human using the computer. Nothing was stated about updating it, nothing stated about the design of the software, nor about user intervention required. Guessing that you can not understand, so I figured that I would repeat it again. If you do not understand that, there is not much more that I can state.

16. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

MSE will be offered through Windows Update only if you do not have any other antivirus software installed, otherwise MS does not pester you about it.

17. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Only with Windows 7, due to the action center. Otherwise, there is no flag to be set in Vista or earlier to tell update if you have some alternative installed.

18. solaris89

solaris89 First Sergeant

In Vista, Windows Security Center, if in use, will alert you if no anti-virus or anti-malware program is installed.

19. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Forgot about that, being the prequel to Action center. It has been too long since I touched Vista Solaris89.

20. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

Thank you all for the comprehensive replies, sorry if it sounded like a silly question but i remember in the early days MSE was not very good and having used Avast for so long i had not considered any other AV and only remembered it when i installed the new OS.
    I did not search the web for recommendations because i trust you guys more to give a genuine unbiased answer.

21. Earthling

I had expected TimW to pop up here as he regularly advises ppl to use MSE in preference to other AVs

22. Lavender

Lavender Master Sergeant

I hope he does because I have a question.

We're advised not to use two AV programs because of conflicts. I have MSE and Panda Pro 2012 installed. If they conflict, which should I keep? I paid for Panda but I'm not happy with the program and will willingly forego the money.

23. Earthling

As you are already aware that you should not have two AVs running at the same time, why have you installed a second? The conflicts caused by this might well start to explain some of the odd things you are reporting as being due to a hacker.

As to MSE or Panda just use one or the other, not both. Personally I would choose MSE but that's only because I'm familiar with it and think it's pretty good.

24. Lavender

Lavender Master Sergeant

A thousand thanks. Until a couple of days ago, on this thread, I didn't realize MSE was an AV program. Panda will be gone in a few minutes.

I can't thank you enough for explaining this to me. I'm hoping it will solve the problems and get me back on track. If it clears what I think is a hacker's work, I can't tell you how relieved I'll be. I was beginning to be afraid of opening my PC.

25. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

Then make another new thread of your own because it is not polite to 'piggy back' off of someone else's. Thanks.

26. Lavender

Lavender Master Sergeant

Sorry. But I think my problems have now been solved. That might help the original poster.

27. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

The OP was asking about the effectiveness of MSSE. You did not contribute anything towards an appropriate response. So I don't personally see how you may have helped him in any way.

28. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

NO !! I don't.

But I guess I'm going to have to try it. :-D

Bazza

NB:

NUP.
    Changed my mind :-D
    Not with a Size 64.6 MB download update . :cry
    Even with a Rating: 5 (5 votes) :major

Baz

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  29. sexyandy81

sexyandy81 MajorGeek

Yes I use Microsoft Secuirty Essentials and I really like the program. Runs in the background and everytime you download a file it checks see if it's safe file or it contains a virus.

My Security is as follows:-

Microsoft Security Essentials
    Malwarebytes Anti Malware
    Virgin Media Security Suite (Free through my isp provider)
    Advanced systemcare 4
    CCleaner

30. MadMal

MadMal Corporal

Surely that would be the initial database, once that is installed further updates would be close to the same as other Anti Virus/Malware.
    I can't tell you how big the regular updates are but I can say I never notice them.

If you want set and forget Microsoft Security Essentials is great
    If you like to tweak then there are others like Comodo CIS that allow you to completely customize your settings (or leave at default)

31. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

Don't change your mind bigbazza. :)
    As MadMal mentioned, the initial download is just the core installer. Definitions need to be downloaded and installed.
    Just fired up a machine after one week. Was already disconnected from the net. Disabled windows update altogether. Did not launch any browser. Have no startups that ask for the net. My report as under.

MSE virus definitions @- 1.115.330.0 (as on the 18th of this month)

Connected to the net:
    Ran MSE update.

Updated to 1.115.502.0( As of this instant)

1.5 Mb was the update. Ok for after a week I'd say.

Cheers..

32. bigbazza

Thanks sikvik and MadMal. I'm :confused :confused :confused

Is the update that MG list on their Home page just a "core update", or is it the size of their usual weekly/fortnightly update?

Is the idea NOT to load the MG updates regularly, but to allow MSE to update itself with a much smaller update? I normally load the MG updates of any program direct from the MG Home page. I don't like automatic updates direct from the source.

If so I am completely wrong in my assumptions. For Spybot S&D, as an example, I use the MG published update (around 6-7megs download) to update my definitions.

Bazza

33. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

Update using the programs auto or manual UI. Why update any otherway ? :confused

NickADSL in Mg updates is notifying. Where in malware removal have you seen a helper providing a link to the latest definition updates? They always ask you to update/upgrade the Av to the latest. As for SAS, I see it being advised- to uninstall the earlier engine and DL the latest and update.

Cheers..

Cheers..

34. bigbazza

I just have a thing against automatic updates. :major
    Too many times I have read in the Windows Secrets Newsletter that an auto update caused trouble sometimes, in some program, or other.

Bazza

35. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

Come on bazza, give me a valid link that denounces auto updates from solid AV's or AntiSpypware. If it's in the above linked please post.
    You made friends with Lavender. j/k :p
    Cheers..

36. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

bigbazza, I have my MSSE updating automatically on my XP and win 7 computers. On those same computers, I do manual updating of windows. I've had no problem on 4 different computers (all different brands too).

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds