Does Avast 5 have Anti-Spy Built-in??

Discussion in 'Software' started by grc123, Aug 16, 2010.

1. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

I'm asking here about the "Free" program. Is this (anti-spy in avast 5.0) True?

Is it "Real-Time"?

I don't see any "settings", or indications of such anti-spy program built within avast.

Can anyone help me with understanding this please? I'm thinking I would use it for my real-time protection, if it is available.

Thanks in advance,
    g...

2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

No, there's no anti spyware built-in to Avast free.

3. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Well thanks, but their site says different --> http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download

I'm just trying to understand if there is a configuration for it, or if it's simply built-in, magically/mysteriously ... ??

Attached Files:

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Thought they did add antispyware to Avast 5.x wasnt in 4.x but their main page says they do http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download

Hi Glenn just noticed your post at time of mine, its automatic, and runs with the AV engine so no settings I'm aware of for it. Do you have this already installed as in Avast 5? if so did you do the default install or did you do a custom? if a default you will have all the shields (scanners) installed for full basic protection.

5. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Hi David, thanks - yes, I have avast 5 ... not sure if I selected default or custom (I'm pretty sure I would have chosen default for such an important program as AV) - but I have disabled two of the shields (IM and P2P), because I don't use "IM" and I don't do "P2P" downloads...

6. satrow

There are several 'Shields' available, some of which (Web Shield, Behaviour Shield and 'PUP' scanning) may be construed as 'anti spyware' but they do not appear to be a replacement for a full-fledged scanner like SAS/MBAM.

7. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Understood - thanks - what would your best guess be; is avast's better (ANY better) than what Spyware Terminator (which I am currently using for Real-Time protect) offers?

This "Shields" presentation seems quite a bit much like that offered in ST.

Thanks again, an in advance...

8. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Yes I do the same and dont have email scanning either as personally I dont feel the added need with a file scan already active, but thats just my choice, and indeed Glenn leave all the others on.

Fair comment and I agree with you I would and do run in manual on demand scanning MBAM as a 2nd opinion as I just like that other opinion, dont run it all the time just periodically as my online habbits are safe-ish.

With ST running residently Glenn, does your PC experience any slowdowns or weird errors? if not then they maybe ok to run together, some apps are, most not unless you run the secondary app as an on demand scan,

Think you already know Chaslangs How to Protect Yourself Guide, like mentions the likes of Spywareblaster as alternative protection, so wont link to it again, but its always worth a quick review for any updates and new apps.

9. satrow

Hmm, better? Unlikely is my best guess - but different, running both shouldn't cause any clashes and may give you a broader coverage.

The only recent anti-spyware incompatibility issues raised in the last few weeks onn the Avast! user forum seems to be related to IObit Security 360, and much of that is down to IObits 'data stealing' reputation.
    http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=62744.0

10. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Thanks David, yes, I have had SpywareBlaster on my machines for years (just this moment got the latest update which I had been looking for for more than a week) - and please allow me to state unequivocally and categorically: I LOVE SpywareBlaster - everything about it, from the concept, to the interface, to the small footprint, and the hassle-free manner in which it performs (though I would appreciate a better explanation/understanding of its manual-blocking capabilities).

Regarding avast and ST causing any slow-down whilst running together, well, a bit difficult for me to tell, as my machines run slow to begin with, but no, no perceivable or noticeable slow-down (and I get PLENTY of "errors" ;) - though no "weird" ones I suppose - just the usual "Glenn-caused" ones :-D).

Thanks again,
    Glenn...

11. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Thanks for your help - and for the update on iObit ... (who knew??).

Best,
    Glenn...

12. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

Just to comment on Avast 5, I also have IM and P2P Shields turned Off, and I
    use MBAM as a real-time spyware blocker with no problems. They are both set
    for automatic update which works fine.

After upgrading form Avast 4.8?, or whatever the last version was, it seems that
    the startup is quicker and smoother. At least that's my perception.

13. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Thanks for the reply and for sharing your set-up details :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds