Does MBAM no longer have a "Free" version?

Discussion in 'Software' started by grc123, Oct 3, 2010.

1. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

I was just about to try something that I thought might be a good idea, and download MBAM onto a portable flash of SD ("Thumb") drive, to have/utilize in case my PC became inoperable due to malware, but it now appears to be "$24.95" - does anyone know if this is correct, please?

Thanks in advance,
    g...

2. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

3. oma

oma MajorGeek

AFAIK to download a software program to a "USB stick" it needs to be a portable version. MBAM doesn't provide a portable version. If you would google for it as I did for you, you'd find this link: http://my.opera.com/GT500/blog/malwarebytes-anti-malware-portable Please read through it to find that it is advised not to download a so-called portable version as it may contain malware.

I may be wrong on the above. If that's the case then please someone respond to this post and Glenn and I will stand corrected.

There is a free and paid regular official MBAM available, but not portable.

4. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

A program doesn't need to be "portable" to be on a jumpdrive, it just means you have to run the installer to run the app.

5. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Thanks to you both...so this "could" work then (?), all I would have to do is have it on the flash drive, run it from the installer, update it, and I would be good to go please?

Thanks again, and in advance......

6. Jordan Rivers

Jordan Rivers Private E-2

7. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

I have the paid version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for real-time protection and I'm happy with the way it works.

I also have SUPERAntiSpyware for periodic scanning.

On a number of occasions, when getting updates for SUPERAntiSpyware,
    after the updates have been downloaded, I'll get an offer to buy the Pro version
    with Real-Time Protection and Automatic Updates for only $9.95

which is a great deal, especially if you don't already have a real-time scanner. ;)

8. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

I keep the latest MBAM, SuperAntiSpyware, SpywareBlaster, CCleaner, and WinPatrol on a thumbdrive for use on machines I go to work on.
    Most times the people are so impressed with the job, they opt to keep them installed.

9. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

My $.02 - I've carried the 'toolkit on a thumbdrive' concept a step further: on a separate 2gb FAT-32 Cruzer, I've mounted Mint Isadora (any distro will do) after setting up the drive with a universal installer.

Can't count how many times that little drive has saved my (and my customers') bacon, especially with the wave of netbooks (sans CD/DVD) over the last year or so.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds