Does the HP 8500A have a memory?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mom25, Feb 6, 2013.

1. mom25

mom25 Private E-2

I am passing on my HP Officejet Pro 8500A to a friend. I have used it to copy/scan/fax sensitive materials for clients and I want to make sure that it doesn't have a hard drive memory that needs to be deleted before I let go of it. The HP assistance line wanted to charge me $50 bucks to just answer the question!
    Please help.
    Thanks.

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

No it doesn't. What made you think that it did contain one? It is what is considered a dumb device.

3. mom25

mom25 Private E-2

Thanks for answering. I saw an article about large office copiers that had been hacked after resale and thousands of sensitive documents were exposed. This was a few years ago, so I just assumed that the technology had developed to include smaller machines. Also, this particular machine does have a hard drive so...?
    I do appreciate the help, though.

4. Rawb

Rawb Private E-2

While it's true that some (of the larger) office copiers and such have hard drives, even those generally don't save items that have been faxed/copied unless you specifically tell them to.

As far as I know, however, no OfficeJet Printers have this capability. Theoretically, if you catch one while it's actually turned on, you could pull information from the onboard RAM, but even that will only work as long as it's a recent scan/copy and the device hasn't been turned off since.

I'm with brownizs on this one. As long as you didn't have it attached to a UPS that let you give it to the buyer without it ever being shut off, you're perfectly safe. ;)

Edit: Just saw the part about it having a hard drive. Just goes to show what I know!

As long as you didn't specifically safe sensitive documents to the hard drive (so you could copy/fax them repeatedly), you're still good.

5. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Personally I would pull the drive just to be safe as it would be easily possible for the drive to save scans by default, or to save them without your knowledge even if you disable the save function.

6. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

The problem is, there is no drive in these All-in-Ones. They are as I stated before, a "Dumb" device. Even if you keep them plugged in all the time, they only way that they would dump anything, is if you used them to fax, otherwise it remembers the last fax received on most, and for copy, would not remember.

There is for most a Factory Reset in the Menu, that when you do that, it returns it back to "Out of the box" settings.

7. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

I have to agree with Brownizs in that this AIO does not have a HDD, it has RAM which can be cleared by clearing the Fax log and memory from the Tools menu.

If you have any memory cards in the printer slot, then remove them also so that any docs on them are not accidently given away with the printer.

IIRC to set these back to factory settings you need to unplug the printers power and then press the # and 9 keys together and hold for 20secs then keep them held and plug the printer power back in and keep holding for 20secs more and then let go.

Should also have the option to Factory Reset in the Tools menu

But full manual for this printer HERE if you don't still have one.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds