Does Win10 Need Constant Internet Connection?

Discussion in 'Software' started by harmless, Jan 16, 2017.

1. harmless

harmless Staff Sergeant

my brother is an electrician on cargo ships and he needs to replace his old laptop. the only time he uses his laptop is when he travels. he will be on the open seas for 5 or 6 months in a row with no internet connection. if there is internet, he says he is lucky to get dial-up speeds from the ship's internet connection, so, basically, he has no functional internet, but he still needs a functional laptop. my brother is considering a mac since neither of us is sure if win10 will function properly not being connected to the internet. thanks in advance for your thoughts!

AtlBo likes this.
  2. Anon-469e6fb48c

Anon-469e6fb48c Anonymized

Well if your looking for a good connection i would recommend this below.I use it at work in a spot where i get dead space on my cell.

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devices/modems.html

Yes some stuff needs to stay updated if your playing games on it.And it all so depends on what he wants to do with the laptop.

AtlBo and harmless like this.
  3. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Your brother can use a laptop running Windows 10 without an internet connection.

AtlBo, harmless and katkat like this.
  4. Anon-9aee479f8f

Anon-9aee479f8f Anonymized

Win10 is no different than any other Windows Operation System in regard to offline functions. Any program you have downloaded to you computer that does not need internet connection works as it always has, game programs, office programs, music players that don't require internet connection like Windows Media Player or VLC media player if you have the music and videos stored on your computer, etc.

AtlBo, harmless and Eldon like this.
  5. harmless

harmless Staff Sergeant

ok thanks, we weren't sure if win10 would bugger itself and endlessly complain about no internet, and make a functional computer useless if it was deprived of the internet. my brother loads up the laptop with all sorts of stuff to keep him entertained for his months out at sea with the knowledge he has no internet. again, thanks.

AtlBo likes this.
  6. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Win 10 is no different to any other Windows OS when it comes to how you use it. You can use it for non-internet use any time anywhere like every other Windows OS.
    Your brother could simply buy data on a 'dongle' (a USB key) that fits in the system when he wants to access the internet.

harmless and AtlBo like this.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds