Does XP have other color schemes?

Discussion in 'Software' started by whicky1978, Mar 21, 2005.

1. whicky1978

whicky1978 Staff Sergeant

Are there other color schems besides Olive, Silver, and Default Blue for Windows XP? Are they free? Where can I find them?

2. RayDunne

RayDunne Corporal

I looked around a little and couldn't find any. Microsoft sells some software on their site that claim to include "themes", which is what I believe the color schemes are called, but they charge for it and from what I could gather they are part of something that include screensavers and backgrounds, like trees and snow and stuff. I'll try to get ya the link in case that's what ur looking for.

3. RayDunne

RayDunne Corporal

4. whicky1978

I just wish there was a way to change the colors in XP like you could in 98, but with the new look.

5. RayDunne

RayDunne Corporal

yup, I was looking for same, spent a couple hours on it, didn't find any more than I showed you :( The most I managed to do was change the text of start button :) , but then I lost search, still workin on that :confused: Anyway, good luck if ya go lookin! PM me if ya find a way.

6. OR_Mtn_Man

OR_Mtn_Man Private E-2

7. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

Officially, only Microsoft-approved themes and visual styles will work with Windows XP. This is a link to the free Uxtheme multipatcher. It allows you to use non-Microsoft signed themes. More details are in the link. http://themes.belchfire.net/index.php?showtopic=8767 Here are some available themes. http://themes.belchfire.net/themes_gallery.html

StyleXP will allow you to change the theme, bootscreen, logon screen and icon sets easily, but it is shareware. StyleXP for men and StyleXP for ladies

8. whicky1978

I really don't want a them, I just want to make my task bar to be orange or pink, something besides blue or olive.

9. bjgarrick

bjgarrick MajorGeeks Admin - Malware Expert

Please note that if you use Norton Ghost or Partition Magic I would not recommend installing StyleXP because it causes problems with these programs. I have had this problem before and ended up formatting.

10. g1lgam3sh

g1lgam3sh MajorGeek

Thanks for that bj, I use Ghost and PM 8.0, was considering StyleXP and d/l'd a trial, perhaps I'll stick with ObjectDesktop ;)

11. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

The default colors for the Luna theme (WinXP default) are blue, silver, and green. You can customize the wallpaper, sounds, etc. with any theme, not just Windows supplied ones. I rarely use the theme-supplied wallpaper, myself, or any sound scheme. Here's an example of what it can look like.

Attached Files:

12. RayDunne

RayDunne Corporal

So we can D/L themes, change colors around, and then just customize the backgrounds and such? Cool, wasn't sure on that so I didn't bother, just figured it was something complicated and gave up when I couldn't find info on customizing Windows XP color schemes. I'd like to have more info on where to get themes, for free if possible, I tried a google search and came up with nothing :confused:

13. bjgarrick

bjgarrick MajorGeeks Admin - Malware Expert

Best one I have found is ThemeXP

ThemeXP Homepage!

NOTE: Please be aware that some of the files are executables, once installed they unpack a compressed .zip file which contains the bootscreen, theme, etc;

Some of these executables do CONTAIN SPYWARE! SO READ CLOSELY!

14. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

Here's my personal favorite. All their themes are spyware free, too. http://themes.belchfire.net/

15. summerstorm

summerstorm Private E-2

I thought that I might also say something about Windowblinds..It changes the colors, well pretty much everything..You can see what im talking about at site..its listed to the left under windowblinds..you may like this.
    Windows XP Themes, XP Skins, XP Visual Styles, Icons & Wallpapers for your ultimate desktop experience! wincustomize.com

16. MellowMan

MellowMan First Sergeant

yes, windowblinds rules. (but it is not free)

17. summerstorm

summerstorm Private E-2

...No , It's not free, but it does allow you to download up to 3 or 4 different windowblinds and then it will ask you to pay...just be careful which ones you pick and you will be happy,,for awhile at least..hehe :) happy hunting

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds