Doing Upgrade ... What To Expect?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by spirittoo, Feb 15, 2012.

1. spirittoo

spirittoo Sergeant

:wave Hi everybody ... at ease men:major I'm planing on upgrading my computer this is what I am running now ...
    Intel 845GRG mobo
    P4 2.66Ghz 533MZ
    256MB DDRPC2100 1024MB
    Windows XPPro/Win7 Ultimate
    Nvidia GeForce FX 5200
    WD 50000JB IDE 7200rpm
    WD 800JB IDE 7200rpm
    Sony DRU-800A
    Sony DRU-A
    Hercules P/S 400W

I will be replacing the mobo with a Gigabyte M68MT-S2 with a AMD FX 8120 processor 8G DDR3 13333, with the same 500GB IDE drive with my OS and flight simulators and the same dvd drives ... later when I can afford it I will replace the dvd drives with sata drives and get a sata hard drive and use it as a slave. I am replacing the 400W P/S with an 650W P/S. A friend is sending me a GTX 1Gb video card pcie:-D ... don't know what exactly he is sending. I will be using a PCI card with IDE adapter to hook the hard drive up.

What kind of problems if any should I watch out for?:confused

Thanks in advance. :)

2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

1. Planing your computer is likely to blunt/dull/wreck the blade and create a lot of sparks.

2. Ensure your choice, brand/model, of RAM is suited to the board, check on the board site in the QVL, check with Crucial, check with verified owners of both on Newegg.

3. Buy a good quality PSU.

4. How are you going to deal with any Windows errors/boot errors when you try to start the new build?

3. spirittoo

spirittoo Sergeant

Are you certain I will have errors when I boot up? And why will I have errors when I boot up?

4. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

When you install a new motherboard, it's almost certain you will have to reinstall Windows and any other software (flight simulator, MS Office, etc.).

When Windows is installed on a PC, it automatically tweaks and installs the drivers that match the motherboard. In addition, the Windows license code (along with activation license codes for most other software programs) sets itself to recognize the motherboard it was installed with.

Although a few ultra geeks know ways to hack around these issues, it isn't worth the time and hassle. If your current copy/copies of Windows are "OEM" versions, they cannot be reused on a new system build - you'll have to factor in buying new discs/license codes as part of your rebuild budget. It also goes without saying you'll need to back up your data first, even if you use Windows Files and Settings Transfer Wizard.

Also, the use of an IDE to SATA adapter on a boot drive is an iffy proposition - many times an adapter like this won't boot properly. To save time, hassle (and possibly your entire install), I'd buy a SATA drive for your OS/Boot and use the old IDE drive for extra storage.

Hope this helps. :)

5. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

I'm not saying this will work in your case, but I have performed a "Windows Repair" in the past, but it's not a perfect solution for a new build/old installation. It will normally only preserve your data, but not your apps.

The best thing is a totally clean install, with a new build.

6. spirittoo

spirittoo Sergeant

Looks like I have very little choice ... no matter which route I take it means long hours reinstalling or troubleshooting. What a wonderful choice ... Leave it to M$ to make our lives a bit harder:(

Thanks to all for the input.

:wave

7. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

If it was easy, it wouldn't be so much fun or as exciting when you can finally point to it and say" I built it all by myself."

8. spirittoo

spirittoo Sergeant

That's a good way of looking at it.:-D Thanks for the encouragement. I have two builds to do ... I will let you guys know how it goes.:wave

At ease men ... :major

9. tym

tym Corporal

For what its worth. Windows 7 pro 64 bit transferred from my Old computer to my new computer no problem. Did not even have to call them My new computer did not even have the same motherboard, or ram, or harddrives.

Put in my legit key, it activated no problem. I was shocked. Can not promise the same results with your situation. Hope it works out for you as well as it did for me.

10. spirittoo

spirittoo Sergeant

:wave WinXP and 7 won't be a problem ... it's FSX that may be the problem because I don't know how many time I can use the key:cry I don't know if they are going to give me a hassle about that.rolleyes:confused The thought of having to deal with M$ makes me :zzz

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds