Domain Name Registrar

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Aqua, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Aqua

Aqua Private E-2

We are currently registered with Network Solutions and are up for renewal soon. NetSol is kind of expensive and we're looking to transfer to a more affordable registrar. Our primary concern is reliability, of course. Is there a site which rates registration services? With whom are you folks registered?

2. techsalong

techsalong Guest

There was a discussion a couple of days ago. Someone made a very good point that when you have someone register for you and host your site, it can be a hassle to get them to release the name because it's registered to them.

Now with that disclaimer, I use the largest hosting service out there.www.1and1.com. For 4.95 a month ($29 every 6 months) I get free domain registration and hosting too. They have a pretty nice web based gui and lots of templates to design the site.

My sole gripe is I can't directly ftp to upload. I have to use the gui. I can upload pictures of course with an "insert pic," and I can link to the pics for other purposes than the site.

My ISP allows me 10mb of web space for a web site or for hosting ebay pics and the like. I can use an ftp client on that. I could have used that space and built the site via Notepad or gui software and uploaded it to my isp for "free," but it wouldn't have been an upper level domain name. What I have now is.

I guess I have a second gripe. I have no access to the raw html code - It's gui or nothing.

However, for the price I'm very pleased. Of course this is just a web presence, not a storefront or anything complicated. They have those too for a reasonable price.

My site is very much a rough draft yet if you want to see what I did real fast with the gui, here: www.aarcomputer.com

Others may well have better ideas.

3. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

www.godaddy.com is another one you can use for registereing a domain.
    I've used www.webhost4life.com for windows hosting for several years and have found them to be a very good hosting company with a great control panel.

4. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

I was registered with www.yournamefree.com & since I change my ISP, I forgot to update *everyone* so I didnt get my expiration notice on one of my domains. So now they want me to pay 99 bucks - from what I can make of the gobblygook - just so I can get 30days to register the name.
    So if I am reading this right I pay 99.00 plus another registration fee...
    so head techalong's post

5. techsalong

techsalong Guest

I would go right here (below) and start a war, but that's just me. I suppose you have other options such as choosing a new web host and having them register the now expired name and then having a long wait while the cr**ks release your url, or betting that no one will use it in the grace period, or even choosing a new URL.

I "think" that you paid for the registration and own the name. Don't take that to the bank though. You can find out at the links below.

To each his own, and others will probably have better ideas, but you could if you wish start here:

http://www.internic.net/

http://www.icann.org/

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds