Don't know much about DVD Burners Plz help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ThisChick, Nov 8, 2004.

1. ThisChick

ThisChick Corporal

I was on the market cause I was looking forward to buying a DVD Burner but there is so much to choose from...I would want one that could burn anything....such as DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, and DVD+RW. The question is I don't know what the formats mean. So if anyone could explain to me what each of the following formats could do for me and stuff I would appriciated. Now if you know a link about a DVD burner that you think is great feel free to post it for me, cause that would be alot of help also....thankyou in advance....

Now if you know one that is great for backing up my PS2 games that would be helpful to...I wanna be able to protect my investments....

pam...

2. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

Most new DVD burners will handle all DVD and CD formats. DVD-R tends to be more friendly with stand-alone DVD players, though DVD+R is usually a little cheaper, rewriteable DVDs can be iffy in older DVD players, though most new ones will recognize them. .Your computer should not have any difficulty dealing with any of the formats. I'd recommend a dual layer DVD burner, though. They are comparable in price to single layer DVD burners and will burn DVD+/-R, DVD+/-RW and CD-R discs also. Dual layer discs are expensive now, but they will drop in price as they become more available. PS2s require a special chip to be microsoldered onto the motherboard in order to play copied discs.

3. heinlein

heinlein Private E-2

DVD Shrink 3.2 is a free download and works great with Nero using Ridata DVD-Rs. I watch my copies on my laptop and discovered the hard way it won't play DVD+Rs after I accidently ordered 50. I use a NEC 2500a which works great and was reasonably priced at Newegg.com. I don't have any firsthand experience with dual layer burners, but I agree that they are probably the way to go since they aren't much more than single layers. The dual layer media should come down soon. Be sure to have a separate DVD-ROM drive as the burner should ONLY be used for burning.

4. ThisChick

ThisChick Corporal

Thankyou very much for the information....I will be buying a dual layer DVD Burner for sure now....There is this Plextor DVD Burner I was interested and it burned all the formats, do you think I should get it.....and I know you need a chip to be able to play a copie PS2 game but I was wondering in what format to burn it in when I get the Burner and what burning software to burn it in, I hurd Alcohol 120% was good, but is there another alternative....

I'll thankyou even more in advance.....hope you could answer my PS2 question though...thanks....

pam...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds