DOS Prompts-List

Discussion in 'Software' started by boneyeye, Jul 20, 2008.

1. boneyeye

boneyeye Corporal

Hi, Can anyone direct me to a list of DOS prompts and what the mean. WinXP HE SP2. TY. boneyeye

2. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Do you mean in Run>cmd prompt? Just type help and hit enter for a list of commands and a brief description.

Help command name will give a more detailed description of a specific command.

3. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

4. boneyeye

boneyeye Corporal

Hi, TY Sach2 for answering, but it is not the" run comand" list, but a "comand prompt" that is used in the black window. I probably mislead you with the wrong terminology, and TY again. I will try the links given by Bold Eagle and let you know how things go. TY again to both of you. Boneyeye

5. boneyeye

boneyeye Corporal

Hi, I have looked at both links that Bold Eagle gave. First is certainly not what I am looking for. 2nd one looks something like what I am looking for but looks very confusing. My Command Prompt black window shows first:
    Microsoft Windows XP [Version.5.1.2600]
    C Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corporation
    C:Documents and Settings\ Windows User> with the curser always flicking after>. So I am now as confused as ever. Boneyeye

6. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Just type help and you will get a list of available commands. command name /? will give you details about a specific command.

7. PEBKAC

PEBKAC Private First Class

Based upon your description, what you are looking at is the command prompt (a.k.a. "DOS" prompt, Command Line Interface, CLI). There are two flavors: CMD.EXE (primarily 32 bit support) and COMMAND.COM (backward compatibility for 16 bit support).

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb490954.aspx

8. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

9. boneyeye

boneyeye Corporal

Hi, TY all for your help. I certainly have all the info I need now, from the links you provided. My best to all at MG. Boneyeye

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds