Download.com Now Wraps Downloads In Bloatware

Discussion in 'Software' started by Major Attitude, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

MrSeb writes
    "At Download.com, page designs have been repeatedly tweaked over the years to push its updater software (now called TechTracker), TrialPay offers, and the site's mailing list. Bothersome, perhaps, but certainly not inexcusable. They've got to make money off the site somehow, after all, and banner ads don't always do the job. Now, things have taken a turn for the worse: Cnet has begun wrapping downloads in its own proprietary installer. Not only will this cause the reputation of free, legitimate software to be tarred by Cnet's bloatware toolbars, homepage changes, and new default search engines — but Cnet is even claiming that their installer wrapping is 'for the users.'"

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/11/08/22/1740238/Downloadcom-Now-Wraps-Downloads-In-Bloatware

Just wanted to say again... we told you so.

2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

It didn't bother me, I unchecked the Babylon toolbar and all is fine for now with Chrome.;) Anyways, I never go there to dl stuff, it's all your fault that I did try it!:-D

3. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

BTW, I chose PCBoost at random. Doesn't impress me much.;)

4. CatT

CatT I can't follow the rules

what are the recommended sites these days?

i've occasionally used tucows or filehippo in the past, but had pretty much defaulted to CNET most of the time. not any more.

i am getting "afterdawn" a lot in searches. is that a relatively new site?

top 10 list or w/e appreciated, "trustworthiness"-wise.

TIA!

5. CatT

was going to ask for that "list" again, but i just DLed something from CNET and there was...NO WRAP!!!!

when did this happen?!

did they crack from public backlash?

i'm surprised no one updated this thread. this is a MAJOR development!

6. evilfantasy

evilfantasy Malware Fighter

Many of the software owners complained and requested their software be pulled from the site. Then the software was added back but with the wrappers removed. I'm not sure if it is selective or site-wide. Don't really care enough to investigate.

The major development was CNET doing that in the first place and at first telling the software owners they would remove the wrapper for a fee. That's inexcusable. They are owned by CBS Interactive Inc. so it's not like they are hard up for money.

7. CatT

well, bless those software owners, then!

good riddance.

8. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

We didn't update this thread because they never wrapped EVERYTHING just some. Keep downloading, you'll get it.

9. CatT

euuwwwwwww.

in that case, I take back half my blessing!

:mad

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds