Download Email To Zip Or Desktop

Discussion in 'Software' started by peterr, Sep 15, 2016.

1. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

I was told you cannot download email with the web mail I have in outlook.com. address is ......@live.com.
    So I took the suggestion to sync it with my desk client which is the MS email client.
    I still cannot see how to down load it to a zip drive or desktop.

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

You need a 'proper' email client to do that peter, such as MS Office Outlook or the free Thunderbird. These support local folders so you can simply drag and drop stuff you want to keep locally. You can't do it in Mail.

3. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

So although Mail is a desktop email client, it cannot perform that. Is the word proper a computer term. I always thought Mail was desktop client but I guess there are categories.
    It seems one is installed in the pc and the other is not??

Thunderbird does drag or download and do you know of any other as I tried T-Bird and it was awkward for me. I guess MS Office Outlook costs.

I'll be googling around using those words Proper desktop mail client and thanks again.

4. Earthling

Mail is an installed desktop email client designed as I see it to work purely with IMAP accounts, so no capability to download and store messages on the local drive. Compared with MS Office Outlook or Thunderbird it is very basic but I think it's just great, particularly in its neat way of handling multiple accounts so I'm using it as my default email app. But because I sometimes do need the features it lacks, including local folders, I also keep Thunderbird installed and configured. The two can work in parallel, no issues.

The word 'proper' is of no significance, I just used it to differentiate Mail from more complete desktop clients. There probably are other desktop clients that might suit you more than Thunderbird but I have no experience outside of TBird and MS Outlook.

5. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

I have installed Thunderbird and am having trouble getting my address book filled with my contacts.
    I have a CSV file on my desktop from Gmail but Thunderbird only accepts Outlook express it seems.

6. Earthling

You need gContactSync peter. It will import your gmail contacts and keep them synchronised

7. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

It is amazing how you found that, Bernie.
    I just found out that my ISP's email program allows me to download a file to a flash drive or any where. It is Comcast.

8. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Comcast does not synchronize so I would have to forward an email to it then download to a zip file to keep.
    I find Thunderbird complicated like that address book thing. It seems for more clever users. Do you have a suggestion for a sloooow guy?

9. Earthling

Could that be because your email account has been set up as a POP3 account? Emails only synchronise when you use an IMAP account. Or are you referring to the address book?

10. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

I set up Thunderbird with the add on but cannot figure how to sync the addresses.
    BTW, you are right about the POP3 issue. I will remember that IMAP only, sync.
    That means that my Comcast account will not sync here.
    When I click on the add on what do I do for each of my accounts to get them to synchronize my address book.?

_Comcast does not synchronize so I would have to forward an email to it then download to a zip file to keep. Maybe this is my best bet. I have 3 accounts;
    ....@live.com, .......@gmail.com, ......@comcast.net and the lst one is the POP3.

11. Earthling

There should now be a gContactSync menu item in TBird and clicking that gives you the Sync option. Of course you must first setup your gmail account in TBird for this to work, and once that is done you will be able to transfer items to local folders, no need for the Comcast malarkey

12. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

My Gmail account as well as 2 others are set up but when I click on sync it does nothing. Is this just for Gmail as it appears to be?

13. Earthling

If you have contacts in gmail, and if your gmail is working in TBird then it should sync those contacts. It won't sync contacts in other accounts, you will have to find some other way of importing them. Maybe the FAQ will help.

14. Earthling

Syncing might not be instantaneous btw, you may need to wait a while.

15. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

I will use my 3 accounts and when I need to save to a flash drive I will froward to Comcast to download.
    Meanwhile MS Mail will be my mail client. It has been a earning experience.
    Did you ever try Inky and Claw to see ow they worked?

16. Earthling

Nope, always been happy with TBird.

17. Earthling

peter, you haven't said but you must be using a desktop email client to get your POP3 mail from Comcast. Wouldn't it be possible to add your gmail and outlook accounts to that?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds