download error says"cannot change contents of folder"

Discussion in 'Software' started by kj201201, Jan 27, 2013.

1. kj201201

kj201201 Private E-2

When trying to download any file of the internet, the following message occurs: "C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp could not be saved, because you cannot change the contents of that folder."
    I also can not open certain programs like itunes or spotify. I can download when prompted to choose a destination file but i cant download anything like a software update which requires a temporary internet file.
    any help would be appreciated,
    Thanks

2. cipher

cipher Major Geek Extraordinaire

I've seen this problem on my Win 7 machine often and what is happening on my end is the desktop folder is being locked by an application, in my case uTorrent. I grab an .iso for some Linux distro I want to play with and leave it running. Shutting down uTorrent doesn't drop the lock from the desktop folder.

You can do the same for any folder you have and see if something is locking it. In my experience, folders so locked by some applications display the behavior you're seeing and downloads are prevented while they are locked.

What I do to correct my situation is use Unlocker as below...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  3. kj201201

kj201201 Private E-2

I can not download the program Unlocker. It keeps coming with the error message:
    C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Temp could not be saved, because you cannot change the contents of that folder.

Change the folder properties and try again, or try saving in a different location.

4. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, kj201201...

Couple of quick tries:

1. Boot your machine into Safe Mode w/Networking, try to download Unlocker and follow cipher's suggestions.

2. If that doesn't work try changing the download path in Internet Explorer's options, see if you get a change in symptoms.

5. cipher

Caliban's suggestion is right on, it is likely the folder being locked that is causing the trouble. Try another location. You can even try to DL to a USB stick by changing firefox's setings, i've done this before...

6. kj201201

kj201201 Private E-2

I downloaded the program, but whenever i try to open it, nothing happens. The program does not load, nor does it appear under my task manager list.

7. cipher

Have you tried to right click your tmp folder and look for "what is locking this folder" from the context menu?

That, as I showed in my pic, is how you use this... ;)

Also be sure to download the right version, 32 or 64 bit for your system...

8. kj201201

kj201201 Private E-2

That was not an option available on the menu when i right clicked on the file. I also checked and made sure it was the right version.

9. cipher

My mistake, I gave you the wrong URL, it is not Unlocker but Lockhunter. :-o

My picture and instructions are for Lockhunter. Sorry for the trouble, try that one...

10. kj201201

kj201201 Private E-2

I downloaded the 64 bit program setup file for lock hunter (the .exe one). When I open that file it asks me to either Run or cancel the program. When I click on run an error sign is displayed. I have attached a picture of the error message. I have also tried running it as an admin.

Attached Files:

11. Caliban

Hi...

Apologies if this has been answered: what's your Windows version and Service Pack #?

12. kj201201

kj201201 Private E-2

I am running windows 7 64 bit. I do not think I have a service pack, or at least there is not one listed under the "Windows edition" section of my "System" file.

13. Caliban

Thanks for the info. I wouldn't attempt it at the present time, but I strongly suggest that in the near future you download and install Service Pack #1 - the SP contains many security patches and enhanced support level functionality...

Speaking of security: a Microsoft support engineer has stated that your Temp folder symptoms might be indicative of viral activity on a Vista machine here. I know that's a 2009 article and the machine in question was running Windows Vista, but I can't see that it's too farfetched to assume that the same could apply to a Win 7 machine. Maybe a trip through the Read & Run Me First thread is a good idea, just to be safe.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds