Download Problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by hermit, Jun 19, 2008.

1. hermit

hermit Private First Class

Vista 32bit....Trying to get the updated Adobe Reader, but at my dial-up speed
    (2kbps) it takes over 3hrs & my ISP disconnects me at 2hrs. When I reconnect (Firefox),
    the download begins from the beginning rather than resuming from where left off. Is there a solution? Thanx

2. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

You could try a Download manager. Plenty of them On MG. Try Flashget. On the other hand, it will only resume the download, if that (resume) function is supported by the site you are using.

3. hvt

hvt Private E-2

Hello Hermit,
    I can sympathize with your problem, as I have dial-up also. I've tried many of the download managers and have found the best one has been Leechget 2.1. It will resume if you are cut off. There is a newer version but I found that it limits the number of downloads at one time. Hope this helps you.
    hvt

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

hermit, the FF v3 has a resume download in the download manager; you no longer need a 3rd party program when downloading.

5. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

And I used to complain when my dialup was 5kbps. You really must be at the end of the road. :cry Do you finances stretch to a Satellite connection? Bazza

===

6. Appzalien

Appzalien Staff Sergeant

Any one could download it for you and split it up into smaller bytes, but when you go to the Adobe page and punch in the info that gets you to the Vista download page, don't let the auto download run. Instead use flashget v1.73 (don't use any of the newer ones, they're not secure) and right click on the Page anywhere and select "download ALL with flashget" and scan down the window that opens til you see the application or exe file and select only that file (its easiest to deselect all files then select the one).

Now when you get cut off all you have to do is open flashget and start the file again. You don't even have to go back to the site just be connected to the net.

If that will not work I will gladly chop it up into pieces of a size you choose, and upload it where ever you want.

7. hermit

Bazza: Getting wi-fi when I cut enough trees to get line of sight. Seven mi. to pavement, 25 mi. to civilization (?).
    Plodr: Have FFv3 but resume doesn't kick in when reconnected. (?)
    Won't FlashGot (FF add-on) resume downloads?
    Thanx for your help, gentlemen.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2008
  8. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I guess I'll have to play with the download and see what the trick is to get the resume working for dialup users.
    I never tried flashgot - check to see if it is compatible with v3, not all addons are up to speed yet.
    I have Fresh Download installed, from Fresh Devices. You do have to give an email address because they want you to register. Make it a throwaway. I was getting two emails a week from them for some of the other free products. I emailed back and told them that was ridiculous. I got a canned response back about another free product but interestingly enough, someone must have read what I wrote because I'm no longer getting emails. :)

9. hermit

I'm a little slow on the uptake sometimes: So when I realized I could replace Adobe's bloated 22+MB Reader with 626 kb from Cool PDF Reader....but why didn't one of you point me in the right direction? Am I missing something? Should Java RTE be replaced with something smaller, too?

10. Appzalien

Appzalien Staff Sergeant

Yeah? there's also Foxit Pdf reader but you did not ask for an alternate reader your question was about downloading. Some people need the extra configurability and functions of the full Adobe download and can't use the tiny readers for the same thing.

11. hermit

Thank you all for your help, offers, & advice.
    Appzalien: Secunia updater told me of the vulnerabilities in the previous Adobe Reader. Like a mindless drone I didn't think much past downloading the replacement or even think to ask about a lighter substitute. Just a tad smarter now.

12. Appzalien

Appzalien Staff Sergeant

I used to get adobe reader off of other disks I had that included the reader for the manuals or documents that came with the program. Mostly back then it was Adobe Reader5 or 5.5. Once they started getting bloated with readers 7 and 8 I used to go back to try and find one of the old software disks to get version 5 off of and uninstall the pain in the A version8. Then like you I discovered the alternates like Foxit reader and like they say on a cheap commercial "Throw them all away" I got rid of adobe all together.
    There are also alternates for Real Player and Quick Time of course and when I found those I was very happy too, Real Player was a Real Pain.

13. hermit

Is there a replacement recommendation for the equally bloated Java SE Runtime Environment?

14. Appzalien

Appzalien Staff Sergeant

If your sneaky enough, some people still run the original Microsoft VM instead of java's but those are your only choices. On one of my machines the MS update site still gives me updates for the MS VM. I don't know why but it does leave a comment that it will only update existing Microsoft VM programs.

15. hermit

...But it appears VM is not compatible with Vista....

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds