Download speed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by markcollis, Aug 17, 2004.

1. markcollis

markcollis Guest

I have a good MODEM (Diamond Supraexpress 56e PRO) and Australia has a good phone system, so I always connect at 56K. Short of going to DSL (It still costs a fair bit in Australia), is there a way of SIGNIFICANTLY increasing my download speed. There must be better than Download accelerator out there.

2. Wookie

Wookie Sergeant Major

http://theboost.net/speed/ <----Do not use this, just a joke

I posted that just because I thought it was funny, please dont use that lol.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heres some files you can try

http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads13.html

Theres a modem tweaker and what not on that page, try it out.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

In that 2nd link wookie posted... these download managers do help in a small way to increase download times.. with a 56k modem there is no magical fix to make them quicker.. you can just help in getting the download more easily.

Star Downloader
    Fresh Download
    Leechget

are all good free download managers... what they do is to split the file you are downloading into multiple parts which seems to help in the speed dept. the major benefit to using one of those is the resume feature which allows you to start the download again from the position it stopped at or you lost contact with the server.. saves downloading the whole damm thing again.....

plus you can queue a few downloads up leave your pc on overnight as that saves time.... im on ADSL and I still use a download manager to queue files up.... saves time.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds