Downloaded game annoyances

Discussion in 'Software' started by Dolfin, Nov 8, 2008.

1. Dolfin

Dolfin Private E-2

I have downloaded a game called Great Mahjong. When I close the game I am automatically taken to the game website. I am sure this is not specific to this game, but is there any way I can stop being taken to the site and just close the game?

Thanks

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Sadly at times if this is a free game is that the developer to try and get you to buy a full version or just for advertising they do add code when the application/game closes to take you to their homepage, unless your good at reverse engineering code your out of luck.

What you could do and may work is to add their web address to your hosts file to see if that blocks this, to find HOSTS file then

In XP Pro and NT/2K its here c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    XP Home its here c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

then add a line 127.0.0.1 www.thewebsiteinquestion.com ( add websites address ) and save hosts file.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds