downloaded zip files causes "windows must shut down" error

Discussion in 'Software' started by sable51, May 12, 2005.

1. sable51

sable51 Private E-2

Hello, I hope that someone out there can help a very frustrated gal! :)

I am using a HP Pavilion 763n desk-top with xp home edition v.2, sp2
    Intel Pentium 4 cpu 2.53 ghz
    512 m RAM
    AOL Internet Provider-dial up

My problem is everytime I try to un-zip a downloaded file, windows explorer either just shuts down with no warning, or I get the "Windows has encountered an error and must shut down" where I have to use the task manager to unfreeze my computer. I have run virus scans on these files before and after opening them. These files are jpg and png files. Some of the files were un-zipped with the windows utility, others with the latest Win_Zip utility. The result was the same with both. I have downloaded these same files onto another computer using xp pro with a dsl or broadband connection through Internet Explorer (I am not sure about that because it is on my computer at work.) These same files did not cause any problems on the work computer, so I do not think that the zip files are bad. I have posted this problem to several sites and it was suggested that I might have spyware. I was recommended to this site as a possible help. I have spent the last week going through the actions suggested in the BASIC SPYWARE, TROJAN & VIRUS REMOVAL STEP-BY-STEP, so my computer should be squeaky clean! I followed the instructions down to the optional steps that start with the instructions to remove the HSA HIJACKER. I know that you think that I have writtine a book, but I have tried to be thorough in describing by problem to you. :) Thanks for any help....Diane

2. capn_caveman

capn_caveman Sergeant

The only thing i can think of is to look at your windows application error log to see if there is more information. Click on your start menu button, go to run, and type in "eventvwr.msc". Without the quotes. Now, in the application that pops up, on the left partition, double click on "application". Now, on the right side you should see a bunch of log entries. I'm interested in log entries that are marked with a red and white "x" - these are critical errors. Review these log entries and if they seem like they could contain information that relates to your zip file problem, then post your observations here.

3. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Also, when did this start and do you have Photoshop installed?

Steve

4. sable51

sable51 Private E-2

Thanks Matacumbie & Capn_Caveman!

Okay, about 2 months ago I accidently crashed my computer and had to completely re-do every thing from scratch. About that same time, Windows sp2 was installed onto my computer and some irritating things started to happen. I re-installed several programs, re-did yahoo connections and re-loaded hardware (photosmart s20 scanner for one) and did numerous virus scans, defrags and chkdsk. I didn't connect this stuff with sp2 being loaded onto the machine until you asked me when it started. I have Photoshop 7 which was working fine until I try to open one of those downloaded zip files. I can view and work with these same files in Picasa without any trouble. When I try to open these files with Windows explorer or Photoshop, is when the program just closes with no warning, or freezes so that you have to use the task manager to end the program. Now then for the application logs: most of the error messages have to do with windows explorer, some of them state unknown applications and several mention Photoshop. From looking at the time of these error message, I would say that it iswhen I have tried to open one of those zip files. I am attaching the application file for you to see. Thanks again for all your help! Diane

5. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Diane,

I would start by uninstalling Photoshop. When you re-install it DO NOT make Photoshop the default program for .JPG and .PNG files, or if you want, any file type other than .PSD.

See if that solves the problem.

Steve

6. sable51

sable51 Private E-2

Thanks Matacumbie! You are an angel! :)

I did as you suggested with the Photoshop. All the zip files work fine now under Photoshop and Windows explorer. And to think of all the time that I wasted these last couple of months because I set something wrong in Photoshop! Well, that is 1 problem solved and 3 more to go! I think that I have to post that in the hardware section though, because it involves my scanner. Thanks a bunch for your prompt help and for not making me feel like I am a complete idiot!

7. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Your welcome, glad it worked. :)

Steve

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds