downloading info from one computer to another

Discussion in 'Software' started by pegg, Jun 30, 2004.

1. pegg

pegg MajorGeek

Never had to do this before. I have one DELL with WINDOWS XP Home and am getting a replacement with same OS and programs on it.

RE: Outlook Express -- do I have to go in all over again and retype each and every person's contact name and e-mail address? I'm not concerned about saving e-mails necessarily.

RE: IE 6- no biggie really, but do I have to write down my favorites (favorite websites) so I can type them all back in? I know if I put in another browser on the same computer it would "download" that info for me -- but I'm not adding a networked machine...just replacing my home one. Dial-up service, stand alone computer.

RE: documents, etc. Obviously I can save them to a CD and then download later. Or is there something better?

UH, I think I was told once you could go to a computer store and they can move info from one computer to another. Yes? No? maybe so?
    Worth doing?

Has this been explained on here somewhere before? If so, can someone point me to the explanations?

You are so kind and helpful. Thank you. :cool:

2. alanc

alanc MajorGeek

3. pegg

pegg MajorGeek

using CD's or direct cable connection.

Yes indeed - read and copied and printed, thank you .

Uh - one more question related to this (from the documents you sent me to)

I can use CD's right and burn info onto the D drive?
    Can I buy a cable for the "direct cable connection" or is using CD's not a problem?

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Re: using CD's or direct cable connection.

Use CDs. But if you use CDs, don't use the wizard, IMO.

Just do straight copies.

5. pegg

pegg MajorGeek

What about ALL those settings? ugh

But I cant' "copy" settings and have "e-mail addresses" import automatically can I?

AND - what are your reasons for not using the wizard?

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Re: What about ALL those settings? ugh

Yes, you are right. But in that case, I would copy data straight to CD, and then the settings/email through the wizard and then to CD.

I don't like the wizard for the reason that to me its a royal PITA.

Its also not uncommon for the backup to corrupt, and then its really a PITA to get to your data.

7. pegg

pegg MajorGeek

Yessiree-bob

Oh, see - I was taking an all or nothing approach there. Of course I could just use the wizard for the settings :rolleyes: me oh my, time for bed.

Thanks, it makes sense to copy all my documents straight to CD anyway.

8. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Re: Yessiree-bob

Pegg, depends whether you want to spend money or not. Check out a google search on "laplink" (no quotes, of course). Haven't used it for ages but it is now up to version 11.5. Works through USB as well. Different prices for different versions and the first search results show some of these. Probably also Google using, say transfer info + freeware, or something similar to see what is free out there. Hope this helps. Bazza

====

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds