1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Downloading malwarebytes from majorgeeks

Discussion in 'Malware Removal' started by sageflyfish, Mar 2, 2013.

1. sageflyfish

sageflyfish Private E-2

Hi all, I am a newbie here, please forgive me rookie question. :-o

I've spent a couple of hours trying to figure out the safest way to download malwarebytes, with much frustration. I has heard majorgeeks is safer than cnet so I tried here. The download page looked very busy with a lot of stuff to click on, which kind of spooked me.

There was a thing says to run a free scan before I download it, but it looked suspiciously like an ad so I ignored that.

I eventually summoned the courage to click on "download locations" and it came up with Do you want to run or save "mbam-rules.exe from data.mbamupdates.com"

Someone on the net told me this isn't the correct thing I should be seeing and it is probably a virus, he then told me to download direct from the malwarebytes official site, which I cannot because I have no method of paying for it. To be honest I think that guy doesn't know what he was talking about because he said "you Go to http://malwareytes.org and follow the free download links from there. I normally takes you to cnet. or a similar easy site to follow". Well majorgeeks is one of those sites he mentioned.

Sorry for my long winded explanation of events. Basically I just want to download the authentic free version of malwarebytes, not some fake virus. What should I see when I click on the download? (Do you want to run.......??)

Many thanks to anyone who bothers to read all of this!! :)
  2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member