Downloads get corrupted

Discussion in 'Software' started by Toni_1947, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Toni_1947

Toni_1947 Command Sergeant Major

Hi all!
    I have a friend who is on a slow dial-up connection and is having trouble installing Zone Alarm free because the download keeps getting corrupted. She runs XP SP 2
    She tried an older version of Sygate....same thing...download gets corrupted.
    My question is: Can she install by choosing 'Run' when she clicks to download a firewall and install that way?
    Will that work?
    Or is there a freeware download accelerator she can use that you would recommend?
    Thanks!
    Toni :)

Last edited: Jun 27, 2006
  2. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> I have a friend who is on a slow dial-up connection and is having trouble installing Zone Alarm free because the download keeps getting corrupted. <<

Hi Toni,

The phrase "download keeps getting corrupted" covers quite a bit of ground. I mean is there some sort of "error message" and if so, what is the error number and description? This problem that your friend is having – as you describe it - could be happening for a variety of reasons.

Among other things, the most common cause is usually due to a poor or intermittent connection with the server (esp. w/dial-up users). Fortunately there are utilities that are very helpful to have if users experience this often. These utilities can resume a file from where you left off should your download suddenly quit. FlashGet 1.72 (Now Freeware) is a very good example of such a program and has far less problems than any other 'accelerator' I have ever used for downloading program installation files.

Fresh Download - Download Manager which is a freebie (freeware) is another easy-to-use as well as effective one that I can think of.

Note: As for your question: "Can she install by choosing 'Run' when she clicks to download a firewall and install that way? Will that work?" the answer is yes, that should work - that is, if the download actually is completed.

Good Luck!

3. Toni_1947

Thanks for responding COMPUABLE.
    She's been getting 'missing .dll file' errors when she tries to install and 'not a valid .zip file' error messages. I'm assuming it's her downloads getting corrupted because it's taking them so long to complete on her connection.
    Might be something else?
    :confused:

4. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Happens alot if your ram is goofy.

5. Toni_1947

LOL!
    So if she went to PCPitstop would it tell her about her 'goofy' RAM?
    How about WinAudit?
    :eek:

6. TimW

7. Toni_1947

Ok, THANKS!
    I'll send her the link. I'll tell her to tell 'em 'Tim sent me'
    :D

8. TimW

"Out of the mouths of bab(i)es ...."

9. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

I run Zone Alarm (free), XP Pro SP2 and dialup. I use
    Leechget. www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=1821
    Free from adware, malware, spyware, etc.
    Free version only downloads one program at a time, though.
    Bazza

===

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds