Downloads keep stoping

Discussion in 'Software' started by J J, Apr 14, 2006.

1. J J

J J Corporal

(if this is the wrong forums for it move it to the right one)
    Everytime i download something it starts and all of a sudden at random times the download just stops. I have to restart the download maybe 5 times before getting the file. This happens on both the Internet Explorer browser and Firefox. Does anyone have any clue as to what os the cause?

2. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Are you using a download manager? If so, what one and what version? If not, try something like Leechget. www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=1821
    The one I use.(Bazza). Free from adware, malware, spyware, etc.

Are you on broadband, dialup? Any extra info you can provide will help. Bazza

===

3. J J

J J Corporal

okay ill give all info i can

i have a 4 megabit cox cable internet
    my modem is a motorolla surfboard sb3100
    my router is a dlink di-624
    i have tried using IE and firefox (multiple versions)
    i do not use a download manager (never have)

can you elaborate on download managers and what the pros and cons are?

4. bigbazza

With the speed of your connection I can see why you have never bothered with a download manager. For those of us on very slow connections, a download manager is essential for big downloads. They enable you to restart from where the download failed and not have to start all over again. The Leechget one is free, but you can only download 1 file at a time. The pro version removes that restriction.

I will leave this problem to others with experience in your type of hardware / net connection. Others, please step in. keep us informed of your progress as we all learn that way. Regards, Bazza

===

5. theefool

theefool Geekified

Just to test and rule out hardware.

Directly connect your hardware modem to your computer, bypassing your router. Does this still happen?

Also, when did this start? Exactly what happened.

When you download something, where is this something that you are downloading from? Does this happen here at MG? Download.com.com? :) fileshack, fileplanet....

6. J J

J J Corporal

yeah i already no its not the router. i f anything i think its a problem in the modem (its nearly SIX YEARS OLD!) it happens everywere on every file and i dont remember when it started because at first it was a random thing now its progressing and happening all the time.

7. J J

J J Corporal

another thing i forgot to tell you about is that i had to repair winsock with winsockxpfix.exe and i also have a noticible difference in the times for connecting to online game servers about the same time this problem started

8. J J

J J Corporal

*bump*

9. bigbazza

Have you an internal or external modem? Are you able to try another modem?
    Beg one, borrow one? Bazza

10. J J

J J Corporal

cant do either

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds