Downloads slipping :(

Discussion in 'Software' started by UKARMYCADET, May 2, 2006.

1. UKARMYCADET

UKARMYCADET Corporal

Helllo again Major Geeks,

I have not been on a while due to my computer not having any issues.

Although this issue has been happend for a long time, i am now writing to you as it is in all respect p|$$ing me off as my mum (im 15) is paying a lot for out 10 Meg broadband and we are not getting our moneys worth. here is what is wrong.

Every time i download a file it always starts at a high number like 980 kbs etc:

but almost instantly that number slips dramaticly and my downloadn gets slower.

Can anylone please give me any advice on what i could do thank you.

WHAT I HAVE TRIED / SPECS

My mum has ringed up NTL our isp and they say that it is fine our internet or they say they willl boost our signal. so there is no point in ringing NTL again.

My wireless network is fast enough and it can cope with it because one or twice it has downloaded at 1000 Mbps so it copes easy.

I have done various speed tests and some are poor but some are very good so it is probably the net traffic at the time i did it.

and i use firefox (See my sig)

if anyone can help by telling my why the download speed keeps slipping every time please could you post it.

thanks in advance

UKARMYCADET

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

That has happened on every computer I've ever seen. On a plethora of different connections. Dial-up, broadband, whatever. It always starts higher than the average. I don't think anyone's going to be able to help you, amigo!

3. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

You will never get rated speed as there is overhead (housekeeping) bandwidth being used. You must have seen that in your speed tests. My 6.1 Mbps line gets at most 4.9 Mbps. That's a fact of life for the internet.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

As the guys have said above, nature of the beast, the DL always starts quicker with a buffered/cached surge, then the speeds settle but can depending on route taken and server loads can slow even more to a fraction of your paid for speed.

and on the paid for speed as in your case 10mb sadly you will rarely if ever get that speed due to the overheads in TCP/IP and ATM ( packet loss ) which can zap 13-20% off your speed straight away.

try this speed test and do it morning, midday and evening http://www.chrysalisnet.org/ntl/hfspeedtest2.html

also as your on a wireless network have you set the wireless protection as in the wireless security/encryption keys, so that no-one close can connect to your internet connection? WPA-PSK is a good option if you have it or at least WPA, settings will be in the wireless modem/router.

some PC housework as in deleting temp junk on occasion, malware checks?

also deleting the DNSresolver cache can help if some negative/corrupt enteries are stuck in their,

Open the Command Prompt box and type ipconfig /flushdns

5. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Many ISP's have self help tools, when I was getting sub dial-up speeds, the tech agreed that it was sub-par after I tried to download a 10MB file, took some 15 mins. and upped my voltage on the spot. Haven't had a problem since! Check dslreports.com, you can find people's gripes there but your line seems fine to me. :)

6. UKARMYCADET

UKARMYCADET Corporal

thank you very much all of you,

firstly: my wireless is fulley locked i did it with the Belkin softweare i got i tried to get in with my freinds but it would not let me.

secondly: It does not slip a little its most of the time can go down to 2mbps or even 1mbps.

thanks again, thanks for the speed test website, and i will go on the ntl wevsite to get help augiedoggie.

Bye UKARMYCADET

7. trp

trp Private E-2

NTL in the UK also tend to share the lines, you are connected to a backbone, if you download at peak times it will be slower than off-peak, its part of their cable networking facility, also bear in mind you can only download as fast as the other equiptment in the loop, ie. you have a 10mb connection, the website host may have a simular one but by the time you get 10 people downloading something it all gets reduced. I dont think my connection has ever stayed at my 8mbps for more than a few secconds, internet factiod!

8. UKARMYCADET

UKARMYCADET Corporal

Yes thank you for your reply. I see now.

thanks again

UKARMYCADET

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds