downloads/streams randomly stop

Discussion in 'Software' started by sgtbrach, Aug 30, 2008.

1. sgtbrach

sgtbrach Private E-2

Hello all. I'm have a problem where my downloads start but then about 10% or so into the download, sometimes more or less, the downloads will freeze and not complete. Same thing happens when i stream a video, it'll start for a bit, then stop. I've tried using IE and firefox and it does the same on both explorers. What's wierd is that downloading torrents or if i download something using a download manager type thing it downloads fine.

I'm running Vista 64. My internet is... well. I'm tethering my phone to my computer which might be the problem. For those of you not familiar with tethering it's connecting a cell phone to my computer via usb and using it as a modem to connect to the internet. The phone is a razr v3xx and it's using cingular gprs to connect. hopefully that's enough info on the connection.

The system was recently just put together and installed, formatted yesterday so it's doubtful it's a virus or malware.

any ideas on what's causing the problem would be awesome! i've searched all over and no one seems to have come up with an answer. thanks guys

-Kris

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Only have a thought to add for you, in that its quite possible that using a mobile to connect the mobile signal is refreshed as the phone is checking its location to mast at regular intervals, so could be why you loose connection when not using a DL manager or p2p app as they have built in re-connect for the file if connection is interupted. Interfearence could also be a cause, but tracking that one down is like looking for needle in haystack

So for general sufing it also doesnt matter if a connection is interupted, but for streaming or downloading using Windows downloader, then any loss of connection aborts/halts the download.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds