downloads won't complete

Discussion in 'Software' started by beezneez, Jul 20, 2008.

1. beezneez

beezneez Corporal

Hi,
    I have a problem since I did an update yesterday of Java. I cannot download anything properly, for instance I have 3 downloads from Audible none of which completed. I tried to download Advanced Windows Care 3 from the Geeks but got the message "Failed to set Data for Advanced Window Care 3",
    After which the initializing box just hung there for ever, so in desperation I pulled the plug. I went into Add & Remove programs and removed Java, but apparently it is still in there somewhere. I was wondering if using a system restore would solve the problem, but never having done it I need some reassurance that it is the right thing to do. I have no important data to lose, so advice would be welcome . I am using XP pro, SP2
    thanks

Last edited: Jul 20, 2008
  2. wildwolf220

wildwolf220 Oracle of Doom

Yes, Try a Restore point back to a date before you installed the java update.

That should sort it out for you.

3. beezneez

beezneez Corporal

thanks for the support. I did a restore which was fine but problem still persists. I will think about it tomorrow:(

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Try running JavaRa to remove any old Javas that maybe left on your PC.

Also if downloading Advanced Windows Care, did you click at the download prompt save or run, if run then click save and install the application from your hard drive as its possible your not in the admin account to install applications or some other security software is blocking the install from the temp internet folder.

If you have Spybot S&D disable its TeaTimer function as that can cause some applications not to install ok.

5. beezneez

beezneez Corporal

thanks Halo, I used JavaRa as suggested, but I still cant download my audiobooks. It must be a problem at the other end. I was able to download and install a little program from the toy list, using run etc. just as a test as I have never had a problem before so I must be okay as an administrator. I have emailed Audible so am awaiting developments.
    thanks to you and Wildwolf. What would we all do without the help from this site, I shudder to think.

6. beezneez

beezneez Corporal

hi,
    Just in case anyone else has a problems with downloads I found the problem was with the Hotfix KB951748. It caused some sort of issue with Zone Alarm so I axed it and my downloads suddenly went back to normal.

7. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds