DR. Web CureIT

Discussion in 'Software' started by bobad, Aug 8, 2007.

1. bobad

bobad Private E-2

This program claims to be Freeware, but is not. Incessant nags pop up asking you to buy it. Freeware is free, so how can you buy it? CureIT tried to attack a competitive product (Comodo CAVS) on my computer. This may have been accidental, but it does look suspicious. Their web site is infested with deals to "Make money on the Web", which I don't think any reputable developer would associate with.

I suppose the program does work, but be careful. I find that when a developer shamlessly misrepresents 1 thing, he is subject to misrepresent anything.

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Thanks for the heads up!

FWIW, you could ask the wizards in the malware forum what their opinion of the app is. You never know what it could be doing in the background.

This is part of the beauty of Majorgeeks. All the downloads here are tested, and known to be malware-free. Shareware and freeware are also clearly labeled as such.

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

We list it for download here.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Dr.Web_CureIT_d4783.html

http://www.freedrweb.com/cureit/

Shows it to be free, are you sure the nag wasn't to upgrade to their full blown antivirus products? Free doesn't mean that the app wont try and sell ya on an upgraded product, it just means that particular product is free.

When you say that it attacked Comodo, how do you mean exactly?

I went to their website and indeed it looks like a site where they are trying to make money, but it seems to me thats because they make software that is generally not free, for both desktop and servers.

CureIT! is a tool they are providing for free, but overall, they are not a freeware provider.

4. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Ahh! Nice one Adrynalyne. Thanks for catching that. I should have looked here, at the very least.

5. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Looks like it is now shareware. As for attacking other products and their website being infested, my guess is your infected (you did after all download a anti-malware program for a reason) since nobody else sees these ads on their site, theres a good chance you have a browser hijack of some sort.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds