DRAM refresh

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ScouseJohno, May 1, 2006.

1. ScouseJohno

ScouseJohno Private E-2

Hi All,

Having a few problems helping a friend insert another 1GB or matching ram inbto his current system.

The PC will not boot, and gives a short beep once, which i beleive is a DRAM refresh issue?

Current system specs:
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3500+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.2GHz
    Memory: 1024MB RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GS 513MB in SLi
    X-Fi Audio Fatality
    MSI K8N SLi Mobo (NVIDIA nForce 4 SLi chipset based)
    Hyper PSU 580w

Have tried to matching sticks of Corsair DDR400
    Have also tried twin X corsair, but it will only accept 1gb on this board, there are 4 slots i have tried all the various combinations, but still no joy.

Is this a bios problem, can anybody please advise as to a solution for this problem, and thanks in advance for any replies.

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Try this:

1. Insert the RAM firmly into the slot so that the locks click into place on their own
    2. Clear BIOS by either shorting the pins as instructed in the motherboards manual, or by removing the CMOS battery for 30s and re-inserting
    3. Restart your machine.

From what you have posted, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to insert this RAM. Do not be alarmed by a single beep at boot. That's usually the sign that everything's OK.

3. ScouseJohno

ScouseJohno Private E-2

ty for the reply. Ram was inserted properley.

System wont boot at all with the extra ram in! Just trys to restart over and over etc..

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds