Drive enclosure not recognised...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thesim, Jun 10, 2011.

1. thesim

thesim Private E-2

Evening people,

I have just bought a Dynamode SATA drive enclosure and have installed a 750GB Western Digital Caviar drive into it. The manual says that you plug the power in first and then plug in the USB connector, Plug n Play should take it from there and list all the files on the drive...

Only problem is, it isn't. Windows XP isn't recognising the drive for some reason, it should pop up as a plug n play device but nothing happened.
    All I have next to me is a drive that's spinning round but not being recognised.

Any suggestions? :confused

2. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Is it listed as an Unknown Device in the Device Manager? Have you tried different USB ports? Have you double checked the connections inside the enclosure?

If all of that fails, it's possible that the USB portion of the enclosure's board is faulty.

3. thesim

thesim Private E-2

In the other devices section there are 4 unknown devices, 3 are labelled as Base System Device and 1 (which I've disabled) is Modem Device on High Definition Audio Bus.

It is not listed in the disk drives section either. All connections are present and correct.

4. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Assuming you've tried other USB ports, the only other thing I'd recommend is trying it on a different computer (or boot into a live Linux distro and try it) to make sure it's not a problem with Windows. If you can't get Linux or another computer to recognize it, the enclosure (or possibly drive) is faulty.

5. thesim

thesim Private E-2

I'll try it on another PC and report back. I have also contacted the seller in the meantime to see if they have any idea as to why it's not working at the mo.

6. thesim

thesim Private E-2

Right, I have connected it to the other PC downstairs and I am having the same issue. I've tried an IDE drive also to no avail.

7. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

As multiple computers and hard drives aren't making it work, it's definitely the enclosure... looks like it's time to get a replacement.

8. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

Just one question. Was this a new unformulated drive that was put in the enclosure?

9. thesim

thesim Private E-2

No it was from my old PC that I sold on, so it was formatted and had Windows XP on the drive. I've tried it with IDE and SATA drives but no luck with either.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds