Drive is in use by another application!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Software' started by fantaysia, Dec 16, 2004.

1. fantaysia

fantaysia Private E-2

I have a well maintained laptop with legit windows xp home, SP2.

I cant burn cds at all!

If i use the xp burner it says "no disc in drive - insert blank disc"
    Nero says "drive in use by another application.
    Its a QSI combo drive that functions perfectly in every other way besides burning.

i also have alcohol 120% and clonecd 5 installed but they are not ticked to start when windows does.

any ideas????

Thanks

2. Turcoloco

Turcoloco MajorGeek

I dont have a 100% correct answer but here is my 2 cents:
    Much like having multiple Anti-virus software on the system, having multiple and competing CD burning software installed is not smart, not saying they wouldn't work but could create problems.
    If no one comes with a more easier and logical workaround, try this:
    Uninstall all CD burning software, then go to Device Manager and remove the CD-ROM drive and reboot afterwards. Windows XP should see the drive automatically and re-install its drivers then re-install just one of the CD burning softwares and try again.
    Like I said this is only a suggestion...

3. Turcoloco

Turcoloco MajorGeek

I'd like you to read this to see if it helps. The problem mentioned on this post seemed quite similar.

4. Farbib

Farbib Corporal

What Turc says with the device manager uninstall will work. Just to add a quick possibility try disabling the IMAPI CD-Burning COM service, it sometimes works.

Start -> Run -> Services.msc -> Disable IMAPI

5. fantaysia

fantaysia Private E-2

Thanks for all your idea's but i'm sorry to say that nothing has worked. I have uninstalled the clonecd and alcohol 120% programs, disabled the imap service and it still does the same thing.

I guess I could try doing a Repair install of windows, but there must be a solution to this problem. I did some tech support over the phone for someone using dvdxcopy and i did install and uninstall the program .. but that should do anything.

I get regular windows updates and install those whenever they come. I did install media player 10 also so i will try uninstalling that and see ..

Any more Idea's peoples?!?!?!? Save me from a reinstall pleeeeease :)

6. fantaysia

fantaysia Private E-2

I'm very sorry i didnt do the uninstall thingy!

It works now after uninstalling and reinstalling the drive.

THANKYOU PEOPLES! :)

burning machine now!

(i'm sure i tried doing this before i contacted you guys .. *shrug*)

Thanks again

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds