Drive recovery- How feasible?

Discussion in 'Software' started by samthunder, Dec 1, 2006.

1. samthunder

samthunder Private First Class

So, I have an old harddrive that was formatted by mistake some time back. I have recently put it back in, how likely am I to be able to
    A) Recover the files
    B) Get it for free

There is nothing critical on there, old music, movies, games and stuff, but I thought I'd ask you all. I see lots of share-ware promising lots of things, but how extensive is a reformat?

Thanks

2. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

Try PCInspector File Recovery (if that's not the exact name, it's real close to that.). You can download it free from the Data Recovery section right here from 'The Geeks'. If not, I recently used Easy Recovery 6 to do exactly what you described: Drive had been formatted and WinXP reloaded on it by a guy who didn't realize that everything would be gone. The app worked like a charm and recovered ALL his family vacation and reunion photos! He was stoked :D !!!! Anyway- PCInspector is free; I'm not sure if Easy Recovery 6 is free or not. I have it on a CD and I have no idea where or how I got it :confused: Duh. I Hope this helps!!! Good Luck!

hopperdave2000 :)

I've also used PCInspector to recover data from crashed and corrupt drives. It does work (Damn well too), but it can take some time.... scans are VERY thourough...

3. abri

abri MajorGeek

Easy Recovery is great! Just not very cheap.
    abri

4. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Make sure you don't write anything to that drive until you recover it otherwise things will be over written.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds