Drive Won't Read CD's Or Play Games.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hsthompson, Mar 31, 2005.

1. hsthompson

hsthompson Private First Class

My computer no longer reads cd's or play games. It will play dvd's though. It went kerplunk when i was burning a cd from itunes. It had hung up at the last 2 seconds of completeing the cd. When i put games in the drive it makes the sound like it wants to run but it does not run like it should. Same thing when i tried burning a new cd, it ejects and says insert blank disc. So what does a newbee do?

2. jamcgriff

jamcgriff Sergeant

Did you add any kind of cd burning program lately or make any other changes? What are your system specs hardware etc and operating system

3. hsthompson

I had my computer built by locals. I have Windows XP, Biostar m7vit pro board, AMD Athalon xp 2500, 256mb, 120gb hard drive, gforce 5200 128mb card. I walked into this shop not knowing anything and this is what they built. I'm updating my driver now or so i think. I've gone to the Biostar web site and picked my board and then click download so i assume thats updating. Thats about all i know.

4. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

if a firmware update doesn't fix it(if you don't know how to do that post your CD drives make and model and we can find the correct firmware) ... I'd say it's dead

5. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

You could try CDSpeed to run some tests, but it's not for the uninitiated.

Have you got any other burning software installed?

Is the drive visible in My Computer and Device Manager and has no errors?

Try uninstalling it from Device Manager and reboot and let Windows detect and install it again.

6. hsthompson

I right clicked on My Computer and under drives it has Samsung sp1213n and under DVD/CD it had Lite-On Combo ltc-48161h.

7. hsthompson

I do have Nero Express Burning and one just called Audio CD Ripper. The drive is visible under My Computer and it says no errors.
    By uninstalling you mean Right click on My Computer, properties, hardware, select drive then uninstall and then open up Install Wizard and let it detect new hardware, install then reboot, right?

8. Insomniac

Almost, but forget opening up the Add New Hardware Wizard after you uninstall, just reboot and let Windows do the rest. (I would remove the whole controller responsible under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. EG if it's on the secondary IDE, uninstall that and reboot)

It should find the "new hardware itself" and then do the rest.

Also, as I previously asked, is the drive displayed correctly in Device Manager with no errors?

Once you have done the above please post back with precise feedback.

9. Feriol

Feriol Private E-2

its a single combi drive?

or are you playing DVDs in an addition drive?

10. hsthompson

Figured out what it was. The SP2 for Windows XP buggered it all up, thanks Bill! So i went out and bought a Sony crx32oa and 512 more ram. Installed it and didn't pay any attention when putting the software that came with the drive and it installed the same old version of Nero ( i had previously downloaded all the updates from Nero that supposed to fix the problem). Then the Sony did what the Lite On did before. So i deleted every dam thing with the words Nero on it and uninstalled the Sony and re installed it and now it works fine. But can't copy or burn cd's. I'm scared to let Nero back on the computer! Is there any other source of cd burning/copying out there other than Nero that is SP2 compliant? Or should i let Nero back in? If Nero is back in please tell me what to do. Thanks.

11. hsthompson

Its a single combo drive. Figured it out though. The SP2 for XP messed it up!

12. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

i like cd burner pro: not sure if it's what you want ... but the price is right :)

http://majorgeeks.com/download4242.html

13. hsthompson

Gonna try that on. Thanks! But how do i get the songs from my iTunes program over to the new WMP 10 that i just downloaded? Or do i need to do that? Or what do you use/recommend? And was downloading Napster a good idea? Sorry with the newb questions but i really liked burning cd's but not at the expense of ruining my drive.

14. Anon-068c403e2d

Anon-068c403e2d Anonymized

Are you sure SP2 messed it up?Did you uninstall SP2?I think there is another cause?Did you try burning with itunes?It was while itunes was burning it crashed why do you think nero is the problem?

15. Anon-068c403e2d

Did you try using xps own cd writer?Do you have any anti-virus?

16. hsthompson

Nero admits on their web site that sp2 will not work correctly on Nero. Yes, i do have antivirus, Norton and AntiVirus that i got from this web site. I burn with iTunes but doesn't it still use Nero? I think sp2 made a lot of things better on my puter so i really don't want to uninstall it, or should i?

17. Insomniac

Do you have that Nero link?

I have Nero and SP2 and not a single problem ever.

18. Anon-068c403e2d

Itunes doesnt use nero.I am pretty sure.Did you try xp burner,that is inbuilt?And no dont uninstall sp2.

19. hsthompson

I just used wmp 10 and it worked fine. So, if i go to iTunes it should work now, right?

20. Anon-068c403e2d

since your problem started with itunes,i wont say yes to that.
    But if you are sure nero is the problem,you might be willing to take the risk.

21. Anon-068c403e2d

If you want to use itunes for burning,check if your device is supported.
    Take itunes>edit>preferences>burning>

It might work fine since you changed to sony.

22. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

I too, have Nero 6 ultra & SP2
    Not one single problem.
    I know at least 10 other people that use Nero 6 & SP2 without any problems.

I'd like to see that link too?

23. hsthompson

Everything Nero just went out the door. I deleted and uninstalled everything with Nero on it. Thing is on my start up options Nerocheck is now on the list. Just don't get it.

24. Anon-068c403e2d

Deleting is not the way to remove nero,Go to add remove/programs from the control panel.But since you deleted everything that might not work anymore.
    You can remove the startup nero
    Start>Run>msconfig>Startup items>uncheck nero.

25. Insomniac

That's what you think.

To completely remove Nero is difficult. There is an uninstall tool on the Ahead website which you can download and will remove all traces of it.

I really don't know why you think Nero is causing your problems when it's not, and furthermore, Windows Media Player uses the Nero plugin anyway.

But, you seem to be enjoying yourself so I'll leave you alone.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds