Driver causing wowexec & BSD crash

Discussion in 'Software' started by mjcp, Dec 16, 2010.

1. mjcp

mjcp Private E-2

I have an HPzv6000 amd64 laptop with pcmcia scsii card running an old Panasonic kv-ss25 scanner.

This combination ran well for the last few years. A major virus left me with a clean install of Windows XP. all windows updates and essentially a computer restored to Day 1.

An internet search finally found twain and isis drivers for my scanner which were installed (both 16 and 32 bit Twain drivers are in the package).

After installing the drivers everything works. My 32bit version of my software "sees" the scanner and interfaces with it well. Device manager sees the scanner listed under "other devices", but both have question marks.

Driver details says no drivers are loaded or needed for this device???

The real problem shows itself when a "blue screen of death" will cause a shutdown without any real pattern. Program may run and scan for hours, or minutes, then suddenly bsd.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times now, even downloading the drivers from different sites.

I tried running the find new hardware, pick from list and the scanner isn't listed (it's old) and when reinstalling manually I install fine but then the installation program will end successfully until I click finish, when I get an error that wowexec failed and the 16 bit system is unstable and must be shutdown.

Any Ideas on what may be wrong? I can live with this but the occasional BSD is not something I should ignore if it can be fixed.

extra info: only other hardware attached is an external drive (USB) with no problems. No other software loaded on this machine since. External drive was checked for virus and has been cleared.

Thanks for any insight

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

What Service Pack is your XP at?
    In Device Manager do you have any Yellow ! Marks and if so by what devices?

What is the full message of the BSOD?

3. mjcp

mjcp Private E-2

The highest service pack is 3, cumulative security updates through 12/16/2010

"Device manager sees the scanner listed under "other devices", but both have
    question marks."
    That is to say both other devices and the scanner have question marks.

The BSD flashes on the screen for only a fraction of a second, I haven't even been able to capture it with a screen capture .

Thanks for taking the time to review this for me.

4. mjcp

mjcp Private E-2

addl info:

after the computer recovers from the BSD I get the "windows error report" box.
    after Sending the results to microsoft I get refered to a webpage describing the problem as being caused by a device driver, and recommends that I run the troubleshooter.

also Device manager reports my scanner is working properly with no problems

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

As I never asked and should have this Windows XP is not XP64 bit is it? only curious as I have been reading up on your model of High Speed Scanner and ist not X64 compatible, if you are using XP64 then run the driver in compatability mode for 32bit XP.

Again just to double check all drivers where installed, including the Chipset for the HP?

You have no extra apps on this PC, no security apps etc? if you do or just try this to rule another step out, in boot to Safe Mode and see if you can use the scanner and it works ok.

What driver version has been loaded for the scanner? (can find this in the Device Manager properties for the device) last known one I can find is version 3.4.1.3
    update *1 HERE

Just so we can possibly see if another device driver is causing this BSOD, could you follow THIS when you have time and attach the logs, the instructions for attaching are in the guide.

6. mjcp

mjcp Private E-2

Thanks for continued interest.

This is not 64bit Xp

I only mention 32 bit version of software because there is also a 16 bit version.

Drivers:

Oddly Device Manager states --- The device is working properly - And
    "No drivers were needed or loaded for this device"

Yet I see the scanner details during the software's "select scanner" option
    which are not there until the drivers are loaded. That is to say selecting a scanner before loading drivers I am given a sparse list of generic scanners to choose from, after loading the drivers the list includes several Panasonic scanner models including the KV-ss25.

I will run the tests in your links when I get back to that machine tomorrow.

7. mjcp

mjcp Private E-2

Driver versions

The link you sent is the same location I chose for downloading the drivers.
    The file I think you are refering to with version 3.4 1.3 is the RTIV Software which is panasonics Scanning application (Not the software I typically use)

Further down the page you will notice Driver updates for Twain, and ISIS.
    I have loaded both ssis16410305.exe and ss_335.exe

More to come

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds